Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Charging a battery on a trailer - best way

nickh7

Friends got a tilt bead trailer but want to keep the batery charged as he drives along

Whats the best way to wire it up ? Its only single plug at prseent . I am going to wire it up weekend after next so want to make sure i've all the bits ready

Nick h

Is this a battery to drive the tilt or the battery of the vehicle being towed that needs to be charged?

If the latter I really can't see the need to bother. If it's the former then I'm sure there must be a way to pick up a feed from the tow vehicle socket. Pin out above suggests pins 10 and 11 will provide power when tow vehicle ignition is on.

A split charge relay is normally used for caravans, to ensure that the caravan battery can charge from the car alternator, but prevent the caravan electrics from draining the car battery when static by cutting the connection at a certain voltage.

Sounds like overkill in this situation, since there's little chance of tilt bed draining the car battery. So a simple direct 12v connection from the car to the trailer battery should be sufficient.

A single old-style trailer socket doesn't carry a fixed 12v feed, so you'd need to wire a separate dedicated connection, or a double-socket layout, or use the newer 13 pin Euro socket.

Best way IMHO will be a CTEK d250s

(Google it, being in Denmark the answers I get are in Danish, and I suppose that's no good for you.)

It will ensure the battery is fully charged, and will compensate for the voltage drop caused by the length of the wires. They still need to be proper though.

You need a split charge relay. If you connect direct to the car, when you crank the the car the voltage will drop and the trailer battery will try contribute to the starter motor current. This will fry the low current trailer wiring.

Quoting Nigel Fox: 
You need a split charge relay. If you connect direct to the car, when you crank the the car the voltage will drop and the trailer battery will try contribute to the starter motor current. This will fry the low current trailer wiring.

I see the logic. Does it happen in practice?

Jonathan