Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Owner - DIY Servicing

Jeremy Latham Smith

Gents

Have owned my 1.6 roadsport for 10 months now and need to consider a service - 3000 miles and two track / handling events later.

Problem is I am a complete virgin at this sort of thing, got a garage and some tools, but not sure where to start. Promised myself that part of the seven experience would be to learn how to Do It Myself, so to speak.

Therefore a few questions :-

1. Is there such a thing as a "How to service your 7" book. I am told that the build manual is quite good, any thoughts? Can you recommend any?

2. Does the club run any "Get to know your Caterham" courses for thick sods like me, to show you how to look after the thing.

3. As my car is only 18mnths old, does it matter if I do the servicing myself, or will it hold its value better if I get a factory stamp in the book?

4. Can you recommend a service agent near to Oxford who would be prepared to do the 3000 mile service for me but give me a lesson at the same time?

Sorry if this is old ground, but I tried a search and couldnt really get the answers I was looking for. All comments and thoughts gratefully received.

Jeremy

I offer a mobile Service system to a number of se7enners basically you pay my flight around £40 and put me up and I do the work in your own garage teaching you as I go charges are £20 an hour actual on car coffee time and social come free. *cool* I used to do this for free [expenses only] but such is the demand that I've given up the day job and now do this full time, 😬

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Edited by - Johnty Lyons on 25 Oct 2002 22:48:31