Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Are my standard brakes working alright

Supersprint1988

Just had a wonderful day out at the track, but I wonder if there is an issue with my brakes.

I use all standard brakes except from mintex 1144 pads front as often recommended at BC.

The problem is that I feel that the rears are locking up to easily, and judged from the amount of dust on the wheels here it seems like the rear brakes "works" harder than the ones up front.

Or are Mintex 1144 pads just not producing that much dust 🤔

A lot of people are using this setup, so someone must know 😶‍🌫️

You either need to change pads to find balance (Caterham std with 1144 fronts is quite good - a generation of Academy drivers run with this balance, as balance valves are not allowed in the Academy) or fit a balance valve. This restricts some of the rear braking pressure, so would have the desired effect.

The other reason for rear dust, however, is likely to be the "cheap ebay rear brake pads".

Jez

• Leadership Team

Interestingly mine failed its IVA on Monday for this very thing - rear braking effort exceeding that of the front - all standard CC supplied parts, PBC by the factory, factory submitted IVA!

CC changed rear discs and pads and it passed yesterday afternoon. Will be interesting to see what pads were fitted the second time.

Hopefully will be able to drive it properly at the weekend, DVLA permitting!!

*cool*

• Leadership Team

I get the car back tomorrow - so will have a look for you. Will also ask the technician in case it is not obvious.

Will post a reply tomorrow evening. *smile*

I have standard setup with Mintex 1144 on front.

I changed to the uprated blue spot pad at the back (as per Richard P's advice), much better balance. So unless you have some more aggressive pads at the back than the blue spots I'd say you have an issue elsewhere.

• Leadership Team

Hi Supersprint 1988,

I spoke to the technician who sorted my car for it's re-test.

He fitted a new set of Delphi (Lockheed) LP507 - the standard ones they issue with the kit. Apparently because the fronts had done two trips they were more effective vs the rears (only one trip) so it passed on the second attempt.

Best of luck sorting yours

*cool*

• 1 month later...

Standard rear pads from CC are on the car now and the massive production of dust has gone.

Better now, but still over braked on the rear, so fitted a Wilwood dial type bias valve to he rear.

After a few test drives the balance is now perfect, and what a difference it made 😬 😬 😬

Any one struggling with an overbreaking rear should consider this solution.

Cost is not much more than a set of pads, and the installation is an easy two hours job.

Edited by - Supersprint1988 on 9 Aug 2012 05:32:13

Edited by - Supersprint1988 on 9 Aug 2012 05:33:26