Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tall chap desiring SV but needs higher rollbar - any ideas please?

SJG

Am 6ft 6in tall and am very keen to purchase a Caterham SV - only problem is that the standard rollbar is not tall enough. I reckon I need another 3 inches in height to cover my helmet (needed for sprinting).

Have been exploring taking out seat and replacing with two-pack/Indy seat alternative and adjusting pedals and this certainly helps - I can now see through the windscreen rather than being forced to look over it. But it still doesn't give quite enough height.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I might be able to solve this problem?

Does anyone know of a company that might make a bespoke rollbar? And what sort of price might we be talking of please?!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Arch may be able to help. Failing that, then try safety devices (here) You would also need to have your weather equipment altered. A search for Jill Judd in the archives will sort that one out.

Oh yes, also have a look at my website, you may be interested:

www.mavmobile.freeserve.co.uk

Regards,

Martin

• Area Representative

Hi SJG,

My VX has a full roll cage in it and with the foam moulded seats, I am comfortably well within the frame - I am about 6'2". Even when I have tried sitting in with my helmet, there is around 3-4 inches above my head to the top of the roll bar. The seats were moulded for a 6'4" driver and I am just tall/long enough to drive it without padding!! Unlike the wife with several large cushions 😬.

Obviously for even taller drivers, the foam moulded seat would be fitted to suit. On my side, the seat tapers from around 6" depth under the thighs to virtually nothing under my backside with a steep rake providing plenty of leg support on long or short distances. I think for taller drivers, a slightly steeper rake i.e. more depth under the thigh area would accommodate you.

Do a search on foam moulded seats within the last couple of months as this has been covered in techtalk quite a lot or have a look here at an older thread which explains how the seats are moulded in the car plus the incredible canoe story - brilliant! See here

Good luck!

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

You will certainly find a foam pack seat more comfortable. When you talk about the standard bar, are you referring to the FIA bar? I would be surprised if you couldn't fit under one of those. If not, you could get Arch or Safety devices to make a special one, or weld a little loop to yours. If you have seen Rory Stockbridge's roll bar, you will get the idea.

SJG, we have Greg Cope's Seven stored in the farm buildings. He has a half hoop welded on top of the standard FIA roll bar, approx 12" wide and his hood has been extended to incorporate this hump.

If of interest, give me a shout and I'll take some digi pics and e-mail them to you

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the 222bhp yellow Sausage delivery machine

SJG

I am a tad under 6/4 (with a long back and legs 'only' 34ins ) so I have had problems getting the required clearance with the FIA bar in my SV. I made myself a foam seat and this just about does it but the foam under my rear end is very thin and for a long journey is fairly uncomfortable but fine for trackdays etc..

If you go the loop and roof alteration route I would be very interested in seeing the result.

You will also have fun getting the pedal setting/seat position just right (although this depends on your leg/back length configuration). On my first outing I reached for reverse but found I couldn't reach it without undoing my harness so the pedals are now on the furthest setting away and my seat is not fully back. Downside is you now have to be over 6 foot to drive it much to my wife's disappointment.

Best of luck.

Jan

PS I see you are based in the London area............ I have some spare foam kit stuff *thumbup*

Edited by - Jan T on 26 Oct 2002 10:32:09

I had another owner, 6' 5" in my SV on Saturday at the gathering in Penn.

I can attest that he DEFINITLY had about 2 inches of bar above his head when in the seat, as I looked very carefuly when he was in my car.

I've got the FIA bar, so I don't know with your being 6' 6" if you've actually sat in a SV or not.

steve

Go team GBR