Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pedal adjustment for the vertically challenged.

Phil G

I decided to move the pedals from the centre to the forward mounting holes to improve my seating position. I thought this would be simple but the results would appear less than satisfactory; however, It may simply be a case of getting accustomed to the new position and adjusting my driving accordingly.

Throttle

This looked straight forward as there was enough movement on the cable to allow for the different pivot point.

Clutch

Again, this appeared to be a simple adjustment of the cable lock nuts at the bell housing.

Brake

This is where I was less than satisfied. Moving the pedal to align comfortably with the throttle pushed the top towards the master cylinder forcing me to adjust the plunger accordingly. The brake light actuator was now a good ½” away from the switch which meant I had to make a small U shaped bracket to enable the switch to operate.

Napoleon:

Alexander the Great, five feet exactly. Isn't that incredible? Alexander the Great, whose empire stretched from India to Hungary, one inch shorter than me. Oliver Cromwell,the only man with any guts in British history, not a big man at all. Louis Quatorze, five foot two half. Charlemagne, dumpy little five-footer. He's quite a little chap. Atilla the Hun, five foot one half. Cyrano deBergerac, five foot three half. Tamerlane the Great, four foot nine and three quarters.

Jonathan

PS: I already know that these heights are not accurate.

Quoting Phil G: 
Now with pictures.

here

Why didn't you loosen the nuts on the brake light switch and move it towards the actuating plate ? May have got away with a slight bend in the plate then, rather than your lovely u-bend !

Another useful mod is to turn the brake light switch through 90 degrees to get the connector away from that split pin on the top of the clutch pedal mechanism. If the legs of this touch the connector while connector is live, you will pop the fuse for brake lights and reverse light.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 21 Jun 2012 17:02:40

You are both correct in saying that there is sufficient adjustment available; however, that is part of the problem. If I use all the available travel on the switch and brake plunger rod the pedal is way out of alignment with the throttle and clutch.

• Area Representative

Quoting Phil G: 
You are both correct in saying that there is sufficient adjustment available; however, that is part of the problem. If I use all the available travel on the switch and brake plunger rod the pedal is way out of alignment with the throttle and clutch.

It looks as though simple adjustment of the switch would have done it. Possibly ditching the nut next to the switch to give you the maximum movement.

Phil, I played around with this as well and found I didn't like the pedals in the furthest forward position.

Reason being that I didn't have that lip to rest my heels on. Before you fettle anymore, I'd check that this doesn't bother you first.

Kenno, That's a good point *thumbup*

I also find that my foot rests right where the footwell reduces in size due to a vertical chassis member.

I do like the straighter arm position and the ease in which my hand drops to the gear lever; however, I think I need to put a few more miles on the car and see if I can live with the negatives. All I need now is some sun. *cool*