Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Flat battery - If I have to replace, what do you recommend?

10uptobase

Car would not start yesterday - had to bump her *mad*

Has been slow on the starter for a week or two (and went flat just before that.) Even after a 50m run home, only just managed to turn over and fire. Am planning to check is chargiong from alternator OK. If it turns out to be a duff battery (4yrs old, 11k miles ☹️ ) What is the best bet? Would like to have something a little smaller / lighter like a gelcell if poss? (managed to have acid leak onto the scuttle last year.) Anyone used these / can advise on what model / spec / cost? Thanks!

Dave

My first port of call would be to check all the electrical connections relating to starting. Test the battery voltage with a multi meter AND test the specific gravity with an hydrometer. This will give you a reasonable idea of its state.

Battery testing has moved on quite a bit lately. Nolonger should you rely on a simple 'drop test'. New style "Smart" chargers use pulse charging. They can charge faster that the old style chargers witout risk of gassing/boiling

A descent local garage will test using a fancy meter and give you a printed readout of the batteries condition and if you ask they will put the battery on charge. Ive recently upgraded to a smart charger (not cheap) and its amazing the info it gives you.

What you are using the car for will determin what battery you should go for.

Track try These

or These Both excellent.

I use my car only on track and have had a Powervamp fitted for about 5 years. The car get uses for a maximum of 12 days a year. Starts first time Never a hint of poor performance.

If you are going for normal road use the weight saving over a standard Banner (excellet batteries) battery really isnt that important. It you want what many consider the industry best go for a Varta but sit down before the supplier gives you the price!!!!

If you are concerned to save weight fill your tank half way. Heavy stuff petrol!

Grant

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 18 Jun 2012 14:04:58

Indeed - and although (as OBNS says) a red-top style battery will hold a charge incredibly well (my Westie sat outside from September last year to May this - with no charge - and still managed to have enough juice for a long evening of churning (gummed up injectors) before finally starting) - they hate parasitic loads and you need to get to the bottom of your issue before chucking red-top-style money at a replacement.

Disconnected the battery from the car last night and put my conditioning charger on, so should have enough to start the engine tonight. Friend has offered his meter to check the alternator is charging / check the voltage of the battery. Was planning to let it stand without reconnecting then for a day to see if it holds the charge overnight. If not - battery US, if it does, may have a "leak" on the car. (Hope its the former actually as have just spent £860 at caterham Midlands on a new lambda sensor and ECU after a tow in when the car refused to start the other week...) 😳

Is the battery not holding a charge, or is it a problem with the starter or the connections?

Will the battery power the lights and do they dim when you try to turn it over - this will give you some hints.

If the battery IS dead, you still need to figure out why, so that you don't just kill the new one the same way!