Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to define a bolt

charlie_pank

Head type (eg. Hex-socket)

Size of hex socket (eg 6mm allen key)

Diameter of head

Depth of head

Type of shoulder (eg countersunk (incl angle) or 90 degree)

Distance between thread end and shoulder

Outside diameter of thread

Inside diameter of thread

Thread profile

Number of thread starts

Pitch (length of shank between 2 threads)

Lead (length of shank between 2 threads of the same start)

Shank profile (angle of taper)

Length of shank

Material used (eg. 12.9 - high tensile)

I've got the damn thing sitting on the table at home. How the hell am I to find a replacement for it given the number of parameters?

First thing is to determine if its metric or imperial by measuring the diameter of the threads 🤔. Metric bolts are normally full numbers M4, M5 etc.. The pitch will be trickier, but can be measured against standard "zues book" style tables. Other specific details like head types and sizes are also generated from "standards".

Can you tell us where it came from, or ideally a photo. One of my tests to prospective engineering employees is a nut and bolt recognition test, so if you wanted to send it over I would be glad to look at for you... *thumbup*

Reminds me of "I am not a a gynaecologist, but I will have a good look for you" 🙆🏻 *eek*

Quoting Abbot: 
What did you take it out of, might give a clue.

Normally I'd agree, but nothing's really like that on my car any more!

I just sent the propshaft off to Bailey Morris to have a TRT put in. The bolts attach the output flange (used to be a sprocket) of the R1 gearbox to the flange of the propshaft. They were done up v. tight and loctited in. I got them all out, but some of the hex heads aren't as hexagonal as they used to be (there's not a lot of space in there what with bits of the UJ getting in the way), so I thought it best to replace them.

After a bit of research I'm pretty sure they're 12.9 high-tensile M8, but it reminded me that I don't really know how to fully define a bolt in order to find a new one. I'd like to know how to do it for future reference!

Edited by - charlie_pank on 18 Jun 2012 12:59:07

Interesting. I just started to look up Zeus tables which triggered something. A quick look in the back of my draw and I have found my nice copy of Zeus Precision booklet pricesd at £1.60. Ahh memory lane.

I also found a link to a download copy that some one posted on a LR4x4 site.

Just put into google zeus pdf.

Of coarse the chart will only help you with the thread definition and not all of the other parameters which for which there will be as many variants as engineers with a pencil.