Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

BEC Propshaft question

Ivaan

I noticed a clinking sound from the tunnel area when pushing the car around, so took the tunnel top of today.

The prop is a two part TRT, with a UJ and supporting bearing by the drivers left thigh.

The clinking was from the bolt/washer assembly in the centre of the prop, that holds the front UJ fork onto the inner front of the TRT. It's held tight by a locking washer. The bolt was loose and the U shaped spacer that hold the forks in place was rattling. *eek*

I've managed to get a ring spanner on the bolt and tighten as much as possible, then tap down the tab on the locking washer to prevent it coming loose again. When tigthening, you're twisting the rubber in the TRT, so I can't see that there's anyway of setting a torque. Also, there's not enough space between the spider and the centre of the fork to get a torque wrench in.

Would anyone know who makes these, and have any contact details. I just want to check how this should be done.

Cheers, Clive

Clive, even when you're twisting the rubber inside the propshaft, you'll be able to set a torque. Your engine puts about 80 lbft through it I think.

Alternatively, if you push a long screwdriver through the UJ up at the sprocket flange, you'll stop the non-TRT part of the propshaft from rotating, so you can tighten without the flex of the rubber. If it has come loose, I suggest a liberal application of threadlock before you re-tighten!

C