Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil cooler advice

David Ward

Any views out there on oil cooler fitment to a high revving VHPD headed dry sumped 1.6K. I've run for 6months without (mainly speed events) but for longer track sessions I'm worried my temp. would be a bit marginal.....

Do I get the Caterham one, or are there any others recommended?

And another vote.

If you have plans for a multi stage dry sump system, think hard about which to get. You can get versions that have multi of inputs resulting in all oil going through it rather than just a percentage.

Still works a treat though, and I think the faster oil warm up is probably more beneficial than the cooling properties.

They can also be positioned anywhere in the engine bay and can be easily cleaned out if the worse happens.

The laminova/Mocal doesn't have a thermostat as standard but I think the idea is that the water circuit one does all that's needed and having two could well cause more grief.

Either way it works a treat. My oil heats up twice as quickly (not properly timed but the order of magnitude's about right) and then both oil and water temps are pretty evenly matched at around the 80degC mark. If the oil gets hotter than this the water circuit starts taking some of the load to cool it off.

Note that I have the big race rad so cooling capacity in the water circuit isn't an issue. Others are, I believe, using std. rads with this set up though.

Multi-stage dry sumps basically entail having one (or more? Doubt this would work) pressure stage(s) - these push oil round the engine - and one (or more) scavenge stages - which suck it out of the engine.

I *think* the Caterham dry sump only has one scavenge but could be wrong.

The advantage of having more than one scavenge is that you can position them so that you suck back as much oil as possible no matter where it happens to be gathering in the engine.

On the Pace system there's one at the front and back of the sump pan, which is designed so that all the oil flows into a central channel in the pan and is collected from there.

It's possible to design and add stages that, for example, could scavenge from the head.

As ever I could well be over simplifying things and may have the nuances completely wrong, but that's how I understand it.