Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How Long does it take to fit a dry sump sytem

mav

If you use the bell tank ( which I wouldnt if I were fitting from new again ) then its an engine out job , then remove bellhousing , remove and fit sump , fit pump , belts etc , then engine back in .

Id say 4 hours to prepare & take the engine out , 2 hours to fit the gubbins and 4 to get the engine back in and running again .

Dave

I am guessing the other option is the Pace system that uses an external tank (not integral with bell housing)

maybe you do not have to take the engine out for this?

a searhc of the archives for pace and dry sump should find stuff

also this is option is apparently cheaper than the caterham one

rob

In my opinion , a better option would be to fit an external oil tank . The best example I have seen of this is on Alex Wongs car , where the tank is sunk into the bulkhead , hence there is no need to have a short passenger footwell .

This would permit the routing of the oil pipes in a similar manner to the bell tank arangement , but also a greater oil capacity .

Plus you wouldnt have to remove the engine to fit it . But you wouldnt be able to have a heater ..... a warm tank instead ??

I dont know the cost of the belltank / housing as new from caterham but you can bet it would be a lot more expensive than a simple tank ?? .

I wonder is the pace is cheaper than caterham system with external tank .

I await to be corrected ?

Dave

The Pace system should be a good few hundred quid cheaper than the Caterham system, but there are still some items to be ironed out on it.

I didn't fit the one on my car, but the guys who did reckon it'd be tough to fit without removing the engine. I'm not wholly sure why, and the engine on my car was coming out anyway, but that's what I've been told.

I reckon it takes about .52 Carmichaels. I have come to the conclusion (having watched and spannered for the master) that any job that needs to be done on a Caterham can actually be completed in a night. This is a new SI unit that I (being the inventor of the unit) now denote as a 'Carmichael'.

Graham (apprentice thread-hijhacker).

The Pace system is retro fit without removing the engine and the tank will fit infront of the block under the rad header tank, which moves to the left to accomodate it, it is a very proffessional system I have some pics courtsey of Mick T Smith, just ask and I'll send them to you.

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Edited by - Johnty Lyons on 26 Oct 2002 19:38:08

They also quoted me £2,750 to fit the kit. Interestingly, they quoted me £2,300 for fitting whilst the engine is currently out (due to a bent chassis member).

The way I will be selling it to the financial controller will be that I will be saving her £1,050 which we can then spend on some sexy looking tyres, etc! Oh, and she'll know where I am for a few evenings.

Edited by - Top Hose on 29 Oct 2002 01:18:35