Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to make clear lens brake lights brighter?

jp7

Have solved making the rear reflectors better on the rear lights. Have managed to source some clear PVC encapsulated concave mirrors. Make a huge difference. Cut to size with scissors and replaces the small non-shiny concave disk riveted on to the light blocks.

http://thumbsnap.com/s/cshXwAVF.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm embarrassed to say they are from our own catalogue, I only spotted them this morning. Perhaps I may be forgiven as we stock over 14,0000 different products.

here

Only 88p (ex vat ) each.

Slight problem as the postage costs far more than the actual items.

Edited by - Titanium7 on 13 Jun 2012 19:20:26

The issue is really only with the LED brake/side light as the indicator bulbs are filament bulbs with the mirror finish and I believe are not a real lumination issue anyway they probably would not get hot due their intermittent use and the flashing.

Edited by - Titanium7 on 13 Jun 2012 19:21:07

The issue is really only with the LED brake/side light as the indicator bulbs are filament bulbs with the mirror finish and I believe are not a real lumination issue anyway they probably would not get hot due their intermittent use and the flashing.

How hot does the LED light get and have we got evidence to support the melt?

Edited by - Andy Lef on 14 Jun 2012 10:42:40

Roger

I lined all the inside surfaces of the lens (lense) and backplate with alluminium self adhesive tape except for the side facing out to other drivers obviously. You cant see the tape when stood next to the car, and all the light is directed out towards other road users instead of upwards, downwards and sideways *smile*

I must apologise for my comprehensive education 😬, I have amended all references to lens where applicable, I believe the plural is lenses anyway.

With regards to matters in hand I am waiting for the rep to get back to me.

Cheers

Jon

Andy, LED bulbs do not get hot the issue is ony a few of the many LED's on the bulb end up pointing backwards and the original so called reflector behind the bulb holder is too small and not particularly shiny.

Filament bulbs do get hot.

*arrowup*

Thank you.

I have fitted ali tape behind the bulbs and clear lens and whilst great at night they remain pretty 'missable' during the day. 3rd brake light helps but ............................

I look forward to seeing if the bulk buy here comes off.

*wavey*

Edited by - Andy Lef on 16 Jun 2012 14:38:40

Edited by - Andy Lef on 16 Jun 2012 14:44:56

I've read all the above with interest as the previous owner had gone the clear lenses/LED route on my 7 and as mentioned, the reult is not great.

I was very interested in Titanium 7's posts as I had been looking for reflectors that I could cut to fit. Long story short, I ordered 5 from his catalogue (Stop/Tail and Indicator x 2 plus a spare in case I messed up) after talking to a most excellent sales person, shaped 4 of them with ordinary scissors and fitted them today. What a difference even in the daylight.

I have also swapped out the "standard" Stop/Tail LED for the brighter ones as per another thread, here which added extra brilliance.

Total cost <£30, total time <15 mins.

Maybe Titanium 7's mirrors should be a bulk buy?

Edited by - velocityblade on 22 Jun 2012 12:56:52

Edited by - velocityblade on 22 Jun 2012 12:57:45

velocityblade,

Did you use the white or red LED replacement bulbs?

With a red lens (lense), the white bulb would show red. I see from the catalog listing that the white LED bulb has a lumens output of over twice what the red LED bulb has.

I see from the catalog listing that the white LED bulb has a lumens output of over twice what the red LED bulb has

If you assume the white bulb is an even mixture of red, blue and green light, and that the red lens filters out all of the blue and green and none of the red, then only 1/3rd of the white light lumens would make it through the lens.

It would be of great service to the community if a task force could spend an evening swopping all the options around and comparing them. As 7s have a LH and a RH tail assembly simple photographs of pairs of options would record the comparisons adequately. On and off axis, please.

I'll put up £10 to NtL for any local group who'll take this on. Anyone else join in?

Jonathan

Alaskossie, apologies for the tardy reply, been working...

They look like ordinary surface mount white LEDs (I have some in my kitchen as white spot lights) but they give off a red light - quite intense too. Looking at the later posts, I assume that as they are red LEDs with a clear lens, little filtering happens so the full lumens escape.

It cetainly looks that way.

Both now done and in bright daylight you can't miss them. Time for some LED's for the tail/brake lights (so that the heat of a std bulb doesn't melt the plastic mirrors) and I think we may achieve good rear lighting!

As I write this it occurs to me that I've not been outside to see how bright they are in the dark

Mike