Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Slight leak from brake master cylinder.....

Martin J

.....and it is a tiny tiny weep from where the plastic reservoir joins the metal body. It looks to me that it possible to separate the two parts once a couple of roll clips have been removed.

Has anyone done this & is there some kind of o ring that seals this joint(s)? There are two of them & on mine it's the furthest forward that is weeping.

If you have had this problem where did you source new seals & can you reuse the roll clips?

At the moment it's not even enough to produce a drip but I can see it will get worse over time.

2007 Sigma 125, standard brake m/c.

Thanks for the advice chaps *thumbup* It's very insignificant at the moment so I'll probably just monitor it (if it ain't broke etc *wink*)

For some while I wondered what the difference was between the standard m/c & the uprated one having never had a problem with my brakes & if needed & I stamp hard enough really pull the car up well.

Just happened to be sitting in a CSR 200 at the CC showroom recently (as you do *wink*) & the brake pedal was totally solid with no travel at all. I have to say, I know I have got so used to mine after nearly 20k miles but I prefer a bit of travel in the pedal before the brakes start to bite.

Dave....how old & how many miles on your standard master cylinder?

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 6 Jun 2012 18:54:59

Edited by - Martin Jeffrey on 6 Jun 2012 21:16:14

Hi,

The 'upgrade' was to an old MC - I bought it off BC from a chap who had upgraded to a rather 🥰 dual-MC setup. The only difference really was that this Girling MC was a thousand times better than the younger Lockheed that came with the car. I had had the dreaded sponge since the beginning, CC said it was fine, no amount of bleeding cured it. More recently the pedal would keep going indicating that fluid was getting past the seals, and rather than splash out on a brand spanking new one for mucho wonga, I tried an old one. Just goes to show they don't make 'em like they used to *wink*

Mine's been spongy for a bit and weeps at the front. I think I should look for a race m/cylinder the same diameter as the standard one. Then the construction should be suited to 7 usage but the feel remain the same. Just need one that uses the same mounts. Must confess I don't enjoy the prospect of bleeding it throughout again. Last time took forever

http://www.apracing.com/product_details/race_car/master_cylinders/flange_mounted_types/vertical_flange_types/cp5623_type.aspx Looks like they're around £80 ex vat, not sure what dia is required as a direct replacement mind

Edited by - millsn on 8 Jun 2012 17:24:43