Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is this what I think it is?

gileshudson

• Area Representative

Went to start swapping over my front suspension yesterday for the new Freestyle Avo set that I've just bought.

Simply inserting an Allen key insert (pictured below) into the rear of NS lower wishbone brought back out the item also shown in the image before any turning.

I have a horrible feeling that this is the sheared side of the 5/16" cap head bolt . . .

On the other side of the little b@stard was a 'female' Allen-type hole.

Question is . . . how do I get the remainder of the bolt out from inside the recess of the lower wishbone?

I'm not mechanical at the best of times, so this has left me feeling particularly sick, especially when Beryl is meant to be taking part in the Jubilee motor parade in Wolvey in less than two hours.

On the basis that it's been like that for ages (as I exerted no pressure when I found it in the hole), is a one mile trip to the village playing field to park up on display and back later this afternoon a safe/wise/possible thing to do?

http://db.tt/nYti8y8S

Edited by - gileshudson on 4 Jun 2012 10:53:56

• Area Representative

Quoting gileshudson: 
Went to start swapping over my front suspension yesterday for the new Freestyle Avo set that I've just bought.

Simply inserting an Allen key insert (pictured below) into the rear of NS lower wishbone brought back out the item also shown in the image before any turning.

I have a horrible feeling that this is the sheared side of the 5/16" cap head bolt . . .

So have I, although not a good picture

On the other side of the little b@stard was a 'female' Allen-type hole.

Question is . . . how do I get the remainder of the bolt out from inside the recess of the lower wishbone?

with difficulty. Probably end up drilling it, sawing it, swearing at it and then buying a new wishbone.

I'm not mechanical at the best of times, so this has left me feeling particularly sick, especially when Beryl is meant to be taking part in the Jubilee motor parade in Wolvey in less than two hours.

On the basis that it's been like that for ages (as I exerted no pressure when I found it in the hole), is a one mile trip to the village playing field to park up on display and back later this afternoon a safe/wise/possible thing to do? On the basis that it has been like that for ages, it's not exactly falling out and it is in shear - I'd say go for it

http://db.tt/mIrM0bWL

Looks like you have the same problem I did a while back. Not too hard to fix. I ran a junior hacksaw blade down each end of the damper bush to cut through the broken bolt. Once you can get at the stub of the bolt in the threaded section of the wishbone, either tap it out using a small chisel, or cut a slot in it (Dremel?) and use a screwdriver to get it out.

I must admit that I took the wishbone off the car to do the job, this took longer than getting the broken bolt out.

Have fun!

I did the same many years back. Tried all the usual stuff and just got closer and closer to ruining the wishbone. As I was having some work done by Arch at the time, I gave it to them to have a go at.

I suspect that they took pity and gave me another wishbone, to be honest - but I was having the chassis re-skinned and the other wishbones powder coated etc. so it wouldn't have been too much of a deal for them.