Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swap Shop?

SBD762

This idea has probably been put forward before.

I note that many people (in Tech Section) often want small / medium size items, fairly quickly and without wanting to purchase 'bulk' quantities or minimum orders etc.

Would or could this work?

Somebody wanting something would ask and offer a swap from their spare items. For example I want right now some 4mm peel rivets, I don't want a 100 and probably neither did the person who has them did either. I also have plenty of popper studs, Lift-the-hook fasteners etc . Is there an opportunity to swap?

I hear people saying what about postage costs and fairness in the swap etc.

Keep this simple. Forget fairness - life is not fair.

I would send my bits FOC post and ask the recipient to put a corresponding value into a charity of my or their choice. Or similar, I am sure we'd come up with something.

Yes life is unfair and some with 'profit' more than others. But I find having to buy a load of gear I don't need very frustrating and I'd rather it gets put to good use , not to be chucked away after so many years because I thought I'd use them 'one-day'!

What say anybody, any ideas? Is this practical? Can it be done?, Do you have a variation on my proposed theme?

Cheers

Steve

I've several meters of 25mm loom wrap (I used on my oil pipes around the engine bay). It'll sit on the shelf till I bin it!! I've sent a few items FOC & postage paid trusting the recipient would make a contribution to NTL.

If I'm honest I'm just glad someone is using something I would potentially bin. If they contribute to charity then that's a bonus. I'd only do this for members of this forum as they are generally fine and upstanding people.

Good idea!!

Ian

I think this is a great idea as well, as I've always got tonnes of spare "stuff" that I keep for no real reason and I'm always wanting little bits and bobs. Having already done a fair few swaps with other club members, I feel I can trust other members not to pull a fast one on me.

It would be good if there could be "private" section so that non-members can't see the free goodies that we're offering, as I'm pretty sure I've been swindled out of a few charity donations before by giving stuff away to people who I thought were members. ☹️

I like Mankee's commnets.

A private section - "Private Swap Shop" would be good. I was unaware that anybody could access this - so I am with Mankee on this one.

Next question,

Who would set this up , is there an administrator for this site?

Is he / she viewing this sort of stuff, do we have to contact them or could they respond to us?

Any knowledge of this anyone?

Cheers

Steve