Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Watt linkage...

jackb_ms

Is it a good thing for a road going 7 / 21? *confused*

I am working on sorting out the handling / suspension of my car.

It has a tendency to bottom up at the back which should be resolved by fitting stronger rear spring ( I have adjusted the height already)

I was pondering if I should invest in a Watt linkage and a roller bar at the same time.

What is the view of BC on Watt linkage, useful or not on a road going car?

Jack

Edited by - jackb_ms on 1 Jun 2012 15:31:08

Watts linkage is not required for road use and I would make sure the rear radius arm is in the upper of the two positions. This will provide a smoother ride and aid turn in.

I would then get the car corner wights checked/flat floored before making any other changes *thumbup*

Jack - what condition are the dampers in? Bottoming-out can be caused by:

I)lard

Ii) soft springs

Iii) ineffective dampers

I'v) all of the above

Dampers are not for life - but they should last longer than Chrisfmas. Have you bounce-checked the rear corners? I.e. put your weight on each rear corner to compress the suspension and then released it? It should come to a rest in less than one 'bob' - certainly shouldn't oscillate more than that.

And it you do fit a Watts, be careful which side you apply copper-slip to... *wink*

lard
😳

What are you saying....

the dampers are 6-7 years old and not leaking. they are the standard Bilstein with adjustable platforms. the bottoming happen mainly when the fuel tank is full or i have have a passenger, so their is weight involve in the issue.

I was thinking of buying those here or those here but i am not sure what would be the implication with regards to the front axle setup.

I'm thinking also to add a rear anti roll bar

Jack

Jack

Watt's /linkage and rear arb will have no effect on bottoming out.

What rear springs do you currently have? 71198?

What static ride height do you have at rear? (chassis rail just ahead of Aframe front link to floor?

Is you suspension reaching full compression onto bumpstops or is part of your car hitting the road?

Peter