Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Power Loss

AshleyBanks

Help from the power of blatchat please?

I recently replaced my engine with a 1.8 EU2 VVC(now with solid cams) from a 1.6 supersport EU3.

I had the engine converted to EU3 and used all the anciliries from the EU3 engine. All seemed to be working fine I drove it the MOT centre and back no problems I drove it to work a couple of times. I then drove it to the rehab meet got there ok but on the way back after about a mile the car just died on me. With the cluch out the engine was turning over but not firing. After stopping the car I left it for a while and tried starting again but no joy. After some very helpful people agreed to give me a tow I tried putting it into gear and letting the clutch out it immedialtley came back to life.

So we disconnected the tow rope and carried on my journey home about 2 miles from my house the same thing happened again. I had to ring the Mrs who came out with sleeping baby and give me a tow home. The same trick of dropping the clutch did not work this time it fired a little but would not go. By the time I got it home the battery was so dead the hazard lights were struggling and flashing very slowly.

I charged the battery overnight and it starts fine now.

So with my lack of mechanical know how. Is this just a knackered alternator would a almost dead battery stop the car from firing?

I did have to change the crankshaft pulley to a smaller one to be able to fit everything in would the fact the alternator is turning a bit slower cause an issue?

Am I missing something?

It sounds very much like your alternator is not charging the battery.

The smaller pulley will make the alternator turn faster not slower - edited to say: "no it wouldn't, I am an idiot" 😬

Perhaps your alternator is knackered, or perhaps your wiring is not quite right. I would suggest the latter, given that you've just recently been playing with the loom (no offense, I'd think the same if I'd just been playing with the loom on my own car!).

Does the charge light on the dashboard go out when the engine has started? Does it come on before the engine is running?

Edited by - charlie_pank on 1 Jun 2012 15:18:57

put a volt meter on the batery and no matter how much I rev the engine the volt meter does not show above 12.4. So it is an alternator problem but is problem something I have wired wrong. The black earth strap goes to the chasis / engine mount points. and the connector is securely in. Will be a right pain to replace the alternator as I am not sure I can remove it without moving the engine. So do I need a new alternator?

• Area Representative

Quoting AshleyBanks: 
The black earth strap goes to the chasis / engine mount points. and the connector is securely in.

But he alternator does not have an earth strap!

The thick lead from the alternator is the output and should go to the same connection on the starter motor as the read lead from the battery (so that it can charge the battery and power the car)

I'm not sure of the internal circitry of an alternator. Hopefully, you have not damaged the altermnator If you've connected the thick lead from the altenator to the chassis, but if it is excited by the small connector, then you may well have fried you alternator.