Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bonding wings and earthing indicator

BruceW

I've read the threads about bonding cycle wings rather than using the bolts on the wingstay. I am going to coat inside the wings with protecting rubber etc to reduce stone chips too. Only question I have is wether anybody has come up with an elegant solution for securing the earth connection from the indicator which normally is connected to the wingstay bolt.

Bruce

I bonded my wings on with the silicone mastic supplied by Caterham Midlands and also wondered about a nice earthing arrangement.

What I done in the end was to shorten the existing earth wire and crimp it into a eylet terminal along with a suitable length of wire to extend into the engine bay. I then connected the eylet under the indicator mount nut and passed the extension wire up into the headlight and back down through the rubber sleeve with all the other wires right into the engine bay. I then terminated it onto another eyelet and connected this to one of the 2 pinch bolts that holds the headlight stay just inside the nosecone (removing a little of the paint for a good earth).

Hope this is clear.

Neil.

Just about got it. I was thinking along similar lines but had not remembered the pinch bolt as a suitable fixing. This saves me drilling the wing stay at all-good news, especially as it is going to be covered in sticky gloop.

Bruce

I thought about this last night and realised that what I had told you was wrong.

In fact I had mixed up the 2 things that I did for extending the pod mounted indicator +ve lead that was too short to fit "out of the box" (this I passed up through the headlamp) and what I actually did with the wing mounted side repeater.

It was all correct in fact apart from the passing it through the headlamp bit, as the wirirng for side repeaters passes along the top wishbone and not the headlamp bracket.

Sorry!

Neil.