Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Floor joists - load-bearing

charlie_pank

Our living room is upstairs and Helen would like to give birth in it in about 5 weeks time. Our friends have given us a birthing pool which will hopefully make things easier. I've been trying to figure out if our floor will take the weight.

-The pool plus mother and water is expected to weigh about 730kg

-The joists are 80mm thick, 170mm deep and are spaced at 380mm apart

-Unfortunately I don't know what kind of wood they're made of

-The pool is going to go in the corner of the room and has a diameter of about 1700mm

Can anyone help me to figure out whether the floor will take the weight? (No I don't want to test it empirically!)

Edited by - charlie_pank on 27 May 2012 12:34:46

Difficult now you've thought about isn't it?

730kg is roughly 9 adult Britons. Add the weight of the midwife and anyone else who might join in.

Would you be happy to have 11 people standing in that area?

I can't find any reports of floors giving way.

I'd conclude that it's very unlikely to cause any damage if the floor is in good nick, and then put the pool downstairs.

Hope it all goes well.

Jonathan

The calculation in the link gives me a maximum load of 43 lbs / sq ft

The pool will be 66 lbs / sq ft so that's a 'no' then.

However, there's something missing from the calculation, because when I stand on the floor, my feet occupy less than a sq ft, yet I weigh considerablly more than 43 lbs. Perhaps I need to somehow take into account the length of the floorboards and how many joists they spread the load over?

people always asked similar question when we had a water bed but if you do the maths based on a bath in a bathroom, the water bed, and even more so a birthing pool, load up floors more uniformly so shouldn't be a problem

Cast iron bath approx 200kg

60 gallons of water in bath approx 230 kg

average Lady approx 60kg

so nearly 500kg not only spread over a much smaller area but usually sitting on 4 small feet.

I suspect a washing machine or Freezer would have a higher loading, as long as the floorboards are not bouncing up and down or showing signs of sag at the walls I would have thought it would be fine

Interesting comparisons.

Pressure isn't really the key metric, unless the failure mode is puncturing the floor locally. The failure modes of breaking a joist or dislodging a joist from its footing would depend on load and distance from fixing, as already pointed out.

Jonathan

...and...

If it were my wife and child i would not risk it.

From what I remember of Charlie's pad, this will be right above the garage with Kermit and the bike in - so much more at stake than just a wife and child! *wink*

I thought you knew a lot about them. :-)

The risk seems to be low, but no-one will quantify it for you. How about adding a few props under the exposed joists and go for it? If you can get those directly under the pool you should be well within limits.

Jonathan

Hire yourself a couple of Acro props from a hire shop I think they are fairly cheap. If the garage is underneath they will be fairly discreet too! All Id suggest is not saying while she is in the middle of labour "Hurry up, the hire is due on the props and I dont want to pay for second day of hire!" *tongue*