Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cutting holes in dash

Colin Grundy

Looking into my local Halfords I noticed a conical shaped Drill/grinder. Trying to fit the red starter button in the dash I need to cut a hole the right size. Is the aforementioned what is commonly called a 'cone cutter'? and if it isn't what implement do I need to prevent me kn@@@@ing up the dash panel.

Thanks.

Colin, Halfords do (did?) a set of grinding bits for a drill. One of them was a conical shape, allowing you to drill a pilot hole and then gently open the hole up. I've drilled loads of holes in my carbon dash this way, with no problems.

If you can't find the set, I'd happily lend you mine.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

I think a Dremel type device is what you need. If you drill an initial hole into the dash (you might like to mask it up so the drill bit doesn't slide everywhere), you can then enlarge it as necessary with the Dremel.

Den

😬 - Self portrait - still unable to remove the smile!

best way is to get a purpose made hole cutter drill and mandrel in the correct size from a tool shop (ie. not B&Q) get one 1mm less than the intended result - they are only around £5-10 and you just mark the centre and then drill in one go! 😬

What's a Q Max cutter ? Is it the thing that you drill a 8 mm pilot hole then put two cutter pieces either side of the dash and then tighten up the bolt on the middle to punch through the dash. These are good for dashes but only come in certain sizes and can't handle thick ali, like the firewall. RS do sets of these.

Roy

You're all really going overkill.

I can email piccies of perfect holes created with a conical grindstone that I bought from Halfords for about the cost of a pint. It'll do holes from 1/4 to about 2 inches in infinitely variable steps (it's an analogue device 😬).

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Thanks for the responses. I think the Q Max cutter was what I was trying to refer to in ther first place. Anyway been out to Halfrauds and bought one of those conical shaped things. Will take your advice and mask the dash first. I hate drilling holes!!

ps. Still dont know what a Q Max cutter is. *confused*

Trevor I believe there are rectangular Q-max cutters available, make a nice neat hole, in your wallet, and dashboard, very careful drilling, sawing and filing should see you right, remember the the 8 P's of success, prior planning, and proper preparation, prevent piss poor performance, so mark it carefully, and go to it!!! Careful with that axe Eugene.

A Q-Max punch is the only way, unless you would fancy a patterned dash!!! You can buy these punches from good old fashioned tool shops (I bought a 19mm one last year and it cost me £5). Cover the area around the hole with masking tape, mark the centre, drill a pilot hole (probably approx 1/4") insert punch, a few turns of an allan key and Bob's your uncle!! A really neat hole and no scratches on the dash.

*thumbup* *biggrin* *thumbup*

H7 CAT