Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tunnel heat with 5 speed box (again)

OliverSedlacek

Ever since converting from 4 speed to 5 speed (type 9) gearbox, I've been suffering from a lot more heat in the cockpit coming through the tunnel. It dawned on me last night that 5th gear is indirect, so it probably generates more heat than the straight through top gear of the old 4 speed box.

So, does the type 9 5th gear really produce a lot more heat? (It's a BGH box with 0.89 : 1 ratio)?

Can I fit a gearbox oil cooler to get the heat out of the tunnel, and if so, where should I mount the radiator?

How expensive would a Caterham 6 speed box conversion be together with a longer diff ratio (Ital axle), and would that actually help?

Some years ago there was a discussion on BC about putting a vent in the rear panel to let air out, no idea whether anyone has tried this but would presumably be another option. Air around the gearbox must stall as it has nowhere to go?

Michael.

Oliver

Try one of those sticky temp stripes on the box and gearbox tunnel in the cockpit and take some readings

My gearbox runs at 70 degrees average and i would think it might produce more heat being a sequential box

Edited by - Mad Hatter on 27 May 2012 19:56:24

Oliver

I have the same set up and when I first had the car, the heat from the tunnel was almost unbearably hot. All I did was to seal the edges of the tunnel cover with reasonably thick foam strip so that it fits snugly against the tunnel itself, and that cured the majority of the problem. The tunnel cover has a leather type cover (not plain ally) which is slightly padded and that stops virtually all the heat within reason.

I would look strongly at the insulation route

Terry

Just to throw into the mix...

I've always (I say 'always'; BOTH Sevens I've ever owned!) had significant heat from these types of gearboxes. It was a welcome source of warmth in my previous car, now it's just an accepted thing. I did a bit of digging through some mechanic mates and apparently the Type 9 simply 'gets a bit warm sometimes'! How technical!

Not much help, unless you're looking for someone to say 'no worries'! I've had no issues at all....

Here's to some Bank Holiday petrochemical consumption!!!! *wavey*

Jase

Just thinking if you could angle a plate below tunnel to try & extract airflow from tunnel.

Almost like a brake duct or similar to channel out airflow & drag hot air from engine & gearbox area.

Just an idea- i wait to be shot in public shortly

• Leadership Team

There was a lot of discussion about this some years ago. IIRC a problem that was highlighted was the inability for warm air to escape at the rear of the tunnel, leading to a raised temperature along the length of the tunnel. High power engines can cause a similar problem. If you are able to create a way of letting the air out at the rear you should reduce the temperature. I think Richard Lee many years ago did a modified tunnel cover with mesh at the rear section rather than fully closed, thereby allowing the heat to escape upwards.

Stu.

I've just realised, I have a live axle, and I bet that makes a big difference...

Never looked at the rear of a de-dion, but does it have a closed tunnel? With my live axle I have a decent size opening at the rear...

*confused*

de dion has an open tunnel unless someone's gone mad with adding weight. *tongue*

btw the ali plate at the end of the passenger footwell on my car gets too hot to have your feet against it when being driven on track - and that's through socks & shoes. The heat from the zaust primaries has to go somewhere, I'd guess most goes down the tunnel. Is the 5-speed box wider than the 4? if so there'll be more constriction meaning that the heat will build up/ transfer more?

is there a difference heat-wise between passenger and driver sides? if so this would support the zaust heat theory - if it's all from he box surely it would be the same both sides?