Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adjustable cams question

yankeedoodoo

I have a Raceline equipped zetec with Jenvey 45 mm throttlebodies, shaved head, and various other stuff intended to get the motor above 200 HP. Kent Focus 12 cams sit on top and are adjustable. Can anyone direct me to a site where adjustment possibilities are suggested, and what the result of various changes might be?

Still offering free beer to any responders willing to visit CA to collect.

The limiting factor with the focus Zetec is the pistons. The stock piston does not allow sufficient valve to piston clearance to allow optimum cam timing. You can have the stock pistons pocketed or fit some forged pistons to gain the necessary clearance. The focus 12 cams should be timed to lift 2.13mm inlet and 1.09mm exhaust at TDC. The cams should be timed using the cam followers on IN & EX number 8 thats the two at the rear of the engine. I think that you will struggle to get over 200 bhp with the 12 cams.

Rob

Interesting post Rob - do you know if this includes the bog-standard cams??

I have a 2.0 blacktop and I'm darned sure the cam timing is out.. Previous owner fitted a set of verniers & I'm not sure it's done right - seems low on power & exhaust really chuffs...

I need to replace the cam pulley bolts so at the same time I'll pull off the cam cover & dial the cams using the standard ford tools. However, after that I'd hoped to get on a rolling road & optimise them... Do I risk a valve / piston clash in such an attempt?

Maybe I should just order a 250 zetec from raceline & be done with it *tongue* £££££ 😳

Edited again 'cause I can neither type nor spell...

Edited by - Neil66 on 23 May 2012 12:08:56

Quoting Myles: 
I'd hope/expect that you'd be able to identify any obvious interference issues while turning the engine over by hand when doing the timing *confused*

Yeah I would have thought so but this doesn't include stretch at 7000 rpm... Not sure how much that would be but if at zero rpm you have zero or very close to zero clearance then what would that reduce to at 7k...

Edited by - Neil66 on 23 May 2012 12:11:31

Rob: Which pistons, rods and cams would you recommend and how much power could be gained? Or, is more $$$ outlay required to really get a noticeable increase?

Thank you to each of you that responded.

Most of us gearheads on this side are into V8s and modifying them for power. The knowledge base on 4 cylinder two litre motors is not nearly as broad as in the UK, in my unfortunate view.