Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Burning Oil

Z3MCJez

Sigma engine (140), now burning oil at a reasonable rate (actually, somewhat more than reasonable - over a litre in 2.5hrs of track running at the weekend).

What's the most likely cause?

Thanks in advance!

Jez

Is it definitely burning it? At that rate I'd expect to be able to smell it in the exhaust.

Perhaps it's breathing it - do you have a catch tank?

If it IS burning it then it's either getting past the piston rings, or down through the valve-stem oil seals. I think there's a way of telling which - I think that if it's coming down through the oil seals, it tends not to do it while the engine is running, but only when it's stopped, so you get a puff of smoke on startup, then all is fine.

Is it leaking it from anywhere?

The exhaust doesn't smell odd. It could be breathing it (but I don't think so). I have a catch tank, but it's not filling up, so if it is breathing it, it would be coming out as a mist and into the engine bay. There is a little on the underside of the bonnet, but nothing really significant, and it's not all over the place.

No blue smoke on startup and no leaks when left still.

If it's piston rings, would a compression test verify?

Jez

The little on the underside of the bonnet is where there is a hole in the lid of the catch tank. I'm happy that the little there is oil mist coming out of the breather. I'm not accumulating all of the oil that I'm pouring into the engine in the catch tank!

I know I've lost that much oil, as I've been measuring what is going in - And keeping a close eye on the oil level. The last thing I want is an expired engine from lack of oil (shell / crank failure).

The engine is 3.5 years old, but it's had a pretty tough life. I don't have an odometer any more, but I would estimate around 8,000 track miles. In race engine life, it's done pretty well.

I do have two breathers, and they're both routed into the catch tank. There aren't any others. And the oil level is within the min/max marks (as it has been throughout).

Jez

Quoting johnv: 
*arrowup* but then on the oil warming up thread, not giving it enough throttle while the oil was warming up causes bore wear because the fuel was diluting the oil. Or something. *confused*

John i do believe that is referring is the car being left warming up at idle

Trust me it does not take much to do a lot of damage if the oil is not up to temp

Oil temp gauge is a must

If you're losing oil you must be burning, breathing or leaking it. If it were burning, you'd smell it, breathing, you'd find it in catch tank, leaking, you'd have a mess somewhere.

I wonder whether the oil takes a bit longer than you expect to return back to the sump, thus making it look like you've lost some. Has it gone up if you check it now?