Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterhams at Donington GP - Race Report

James.S

Perugia did the timing, don't think it is on line.

R1 top 5, PW with new lap record, Donny GP circuit, Dry, Cloudy

1 32 WILSON Paul DPR Motorsport Caterham Superlight R300 1'41.941

2 88 PAYNE Ian SPY Caterham Superlight R300 1'42.234

3 33 SHARROCK James Fauldsport Caterham Superlight R300 1'42.104

4 3 SHAW Mark DPR Motorsport Caterham Superlight R300 1'42.023

5 75 HAIGH Flick Fauldsport Caterham Superlight R300 1'42.290

Looking at the times he is a couple of seconds a lap of the pace at the moment.

It is not that surprising, CC one make series are a world apart from open series like Mags where Mark has been racing - and being at the top of the CC motorsport tree 300's is rammed full of very quick people. The one thing that people do not prepare for is how close cars are all the time. You are also forced to think every second of the race - it allways feels like half the field are packed up your arse just waiting for your concentration to slip.

Big up to MC for giving it a go though - He has a decent team mate in Ratters, a tough cookie to get passed even on a bad day. Hope he sticks it out - it will make him a better racer for sure.

That's a big chunk, not just in M7's but before that Mark raced with me in Britcar in my GT3 cup car, he was 1sec faster than all the established Porsche guys, never seen him off the pace before....sounds like racing as racing should be

true in part, but there are also some very good experienced drivers and it's defo a higher level than M7's.....i've not yet come across any decent drivers who don't spend money, testing, tyres, instruction, team support., all the leaders spend money to be at the front, there aren't many that are at the front due to sheer talent....i'd argue that R300's is no different.....might come and see a round or 2, looks decent

edited to say, you;re actually supporting us at brands GP so don;t need to come and see a few rounds!

Edited by - taffyracer on 23 May 2012 22:05:55

You haven't got that right.

Costs in R300 are pretty reasonable, the racing is close nad on the whole very well regualted. This is why you have very large grids with a strong standard of driver. You are restricted to how many tyres you can use in a season and most people run the offical test before a weekend. Of course you can have multiple engines nad use the best if you are so inclined and test day and night but i don't know of anyone doing this. For instance Ian Payne is doing this season on an absolute shoestring in racing terms and he is right up there.

Or speak to MC - and ask him is it money that puts you in the top 5

Look forward to seeing you in 300's (or even 500's) next year when you have got bored of the Britcar trackdays.

ooh I like this......James, that's not what I'm saying, I know the costs are reasonable in comparison, my point is that you and others who are at or are close to the top are being run by a pro team, you go testing, you've had instruction, there's a cost to all that, racing costs are not just about the tyres or the fuel or the amount of engines you use.... so there is a chequebook element going on for the front runners, even in Caterham's, that's my point......as I said I've never met a front runner that doesn't spend money to be at the front, to be good at racing you need to do alot of it, the more tracktime you have the better you become, practice makes perfect and all that and that means dosh, as you well know....I don't race in Britcar, haven't done since 2008

500's would be Goooood *cool*

Edited by - taffyracer on 24 May 2012 17:48:39

you're a funny guy James....Obviously i'm totally wrong and you don't pay for a professional team to run your car and you do all your own spannering and trailering and you don't test at all, then just rock up, jump in the car, dial up your natural talent and do your earth shattering laps, sorry my mistake! *wavey*.....it's been fun, come and say hi at Brands *wavey*

Edited by - taffyracer on 25 May 2012 09:38:02