Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SLR oil drainage

OAP

My dry sumped SLR has no oil drain hole in the sump plate. Caterham told me they are all like that, and I should remove the blue plate below the dry sump to drain the oil.

I know of two other SLR's - one supplied before mine and one supplied afterwards - which do have conventional drain plugs.

Am I the odd one out, or are the others?

I change my oil and the filter every couple of trackdays.

I just disconnect the thick pipe between the sump and the pump.

Between that and the filter most of the oil seems to come out - and what is left has hardly been over used.

Obviously this is a slightly lazy approach to the job - is it good enough?Should I be removing the blue plate on the sump to get all of it out?

Also, what about the Apollo tank - does any oil stay there and if so how to get that out?

Martin,

Do you mean the big pipe from the dry sump tank to the pressure pump? This would make more sense. It is reasonably easy to remove the dry sump belt and turn the pulley to drain the sump some more. The last half litre in the tank can be removed with a pump siphon tool that you can pick up for a few quid in any motor factor. This saves disturbing the silicone sealant or O ring under the blue plate.

The Apollo on the R500s is a reduced capacity version of the full wet sump one. The full Apollo tank has a drain plug - not sure about the R500 one. and yes, some oil will be retained. Loosening the top vent hose will allow air in at the top of the tank and the oil in the top pipe will drain back to the oil filter. The tank itself and the lower pipe can only exit to the oil galleries and only the main bearings are below its height. Seepage will be slow.