Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S3 Steeering wheel play

Terry Field

The MoT picked up some steering wheel play, but it still passed. The play translates to about 1cm on the outer edge of the steering wheel. All the steering column joints are tight.

Can anything be done at the steering rack end to tighten it up, or should I just live with it as it is not noticeable in normal driving.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I had a similar thing during my last MOT. My solution was at the steering rack end!

On the top of the rack is a hex faced socket. if this is removed you'll find a polyurethane insert. This should grip the (forgive the terminology...) bit that goes left to right within the rack assembly. All I did was tighten up the hex socket a tad! Problem solved. Careful not to tighten it too much or else you'll get an obvious restriction in the steering!

Hope this helps...

Rampmonkey *wavey*

It is actually a threaded plug with a hex socket on top, but a big locknut around the outside, so slacken the locknut, then screw in the hex socket and hold it while tightening the locknut. Check lock to lock afterwards with the front wheels off the ground. You may have to dig the dirt out of the small hex socket to find it !