Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Master Cylinder Reservoir

bahf

My '87 car has open pedal box with 3 port master cylinder (2 front lines, one rear) and needs a new reservoir. Does anyone know where a reservoir could be sourced or have a clever solution? I really don't want to change the brake lines to suit a 2 port master cylinder as I'm resonably satisfied with the current set-up. Thanks in advance

If you do decide to go the two-port route (Just use a three way union to combine - I used this approach to incorporate a brake-pressure gauge for logging purposes) then I have

a spare standard two-part master cylinder available.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close the thread - now sorted as follows.

The master cylinder looks identical to those from an MGB tandem system or Vauxhall Viva or Firenza EXCEPT that the mounting is 90 degrees out and I cannot confirm the bore. However that wasn't important for me as I only wanted a reservoir. I came across a good video on YouTube on rebuilding a master cylinder which was useful and Dave pointed me in the direction of similar units on LDV vans. The bottom line was that most master cylinder reservoirs of this type and vintage seem to have the ports the same distance apart and I was able to source (actually it was Fiona who found it in a traditional "go and see what you can find" scrap yard armed with a screwdriver) a completely different looking reservoir that had the same port spacing, The complication was that my reservoir had a male and female port (see the You Tube video) and the sorced part from an LDV van had two male ports but this was easily rectified with a good quality drill bit and pillar drill, Now fitted and tested on the road and looking for a track day for final prove - out. Cheers