Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sparco Steering Wheel

sicsr

Ok my first rookie mistake i bought this Sparco 260 suede sterring wheel and it does not fit on the quick release boss correctly, (see here)

I see no way around it but to go back to buy a momo, so it cost me £174 from

here

I'll take a quick £150 including postage, but you'd need to know it will fit your QR boss correctly Mines Lifeline so thats a no go.

here

here

This is the way it is with wheels straight, no good.

Edited by - sicsr on 17 May 2012 18:47:47

Edited by - sicsr on 17 May 2012 18:49:02

Quoting Grubbster: 
But can't you simply rotate your lower steering column round a couple of notches to compensate? Should be a 10 minute job . . . . Or am I missing something *confused*
You're probably right but that would not put the large grooved spline which should be at TDC when the wheel goes on straight, it would be at an angle and though i could probably live with it, i dont want too.

Quoting mic: 
Not sure I completely understand, why don't you fit it so the master spline is at the bottom?
I would if i could but it does'nt go that way, whateve way its bolted on its always at an angle

Doesn't really matter what orientation the 'master spline' is in? Just do as has been said and unbolt the uk and rotate the column to the correct orientation for the wheel to sit straight when the 'wheels' are pointing straight ahead...

Is it just a matter of slackening these 2 bolts?

here

Quoting mav: 

Doesn't really matter what orientation the 'master spline' is in? Just do as has been said and unbolt the uk and rotate the column to the correct orientation for the wheel to sit straight when the 'wheels' are pointing straight ahead...

Quoting sicsr: 
Quoting mav: 
Yes. Ask one of your locals to help get it sorted.

If that's all there is to it i can do it myself. Cheers.

Make sure you tighten them up after though and tight! very tight *thumbup* - In fact get torque setting from CC to make double sure *thumbup*

Quoting Billyboy: 
Quoting sicsr: 
Quoting mav: 
Yes. Ask one of your locals to help get it sorted.

If that's all there is to it i can do it myself. Cheers.

Make sure you tighten them up after though and tight! very tight *thumbup* - In fact get torque setting from CC to make double sure *thumbup*11nm

Quoting myothercarsa2cv: 
Rotate the steering column 180 degrees, and fit the boss 'upside down' on the wheel, then you know it lines up with the bottom screw. It's not insurmountable *smile*

Nice wheel, btw, be a shame to get rid of it!

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 17 May 2012 21:43:18

Thanks will have a go tomorrow, do i need to unbolt from joint nearest the rack or just the one the column goes into?

Edited by - sicsr on 17 May 2012 22:34:09

Quoting Grubbster: 
I'd just do the one furthest from the rack, also I think you'll need to loosen the column clamp which is up by the bulkhead, behind the pedal box.
Thanks for the help everyone, i've done it and it's easier than you think. You dont actually need to undo the bolts from the rack end at all. All you have to do is undo the 2 bolts on the column clamp and turn the column housing round thro 180, the steering column does'nt move just the housing. Anyway job done and as suggested large groove slot is at the bottom when SW is straight.

Cheers All *thumbup*

Oh and it's not for sale anymore so maybe the mods could move thread to the tech section?

Edited by - sicsr on 18 May 2012 14:48:59

All you have to do is undo the 2 bolts on the column clamp and turn the column housing round thro 180, the steering column does'nt move just the housing.

Good news that you've done it but can you just confirm for me that the column clamp (behind the pedal box) is still clamping on the flat surface of the steering column itself? I just looked at mine and I think that if I turned the upper column through 180 degrees then the clamp would sit on the curved side of the lower column if you see what I mean? I just want to make sure that what you've done is safe, I'm sure it will be but worth double checking.

• Area Representative

*arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup*

What Grubbster said. PLease, please make sure this is safe. I too suspect you have clamped on the round part rather than the flat

*arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup* *arrowup*OK i just checked and you're both correct and i missed that one so thanks again. So now i'm back to square one and will need to unbolt at the rack and turn the column 180 so i can indeed clamp on the flat part. Still must have it right and safeso back i go.