Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series - 2 different water rails - why?

V7 SLR

I notice that the later K-equipped cars appear to have a different steel water rail bolted to the right hand side (from driver's perspective) of the engine. What is the reason for the change, and should I consider getting one to replace my older version?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

Left hand side do you mean 🤔 Ie the exhaust side of the engine 🤔

I believe the design changed as the old one often use to leak where it joined the head and the exhaust/bellhousing corner of the engine. My old one leaked, was reground and given a new gasket and then leaked again and was replaced with the new type.

HOOPY Membership Number 4136 R706KGU

Damn. Yes. Never could tell the difference between left and right... and that's directly after watching "Full Metal Jacket" last night where Private Pile got a beating for not knowing either.

Hmm... Mine's been off twice and never leaked on refitting. Is that the only reason then?

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

OK. Anyone got a new style one they want to sell? I'm convinced, especially as I've just replaced my standard water temp gauge with a lovely Spa version (although that sender is properly in the flow) and I'm about to get my engine remapped again soon (might as well spend time trying to get the engine temp-vs-fuelling right eh?).

I'll drop a "Wanted" message in...

Which way does the water flow? Does it enter or exit the head where this rail joins the head? I've got the ECU temp sender on side of this point of entry/exit and the dash gauge sender the other side. The new rail appear to position them both on the same side of this junction. The "radiator" side.

Miraz has indicated to me that the R500 setup uses a similar rail to the new one, but with no sender taps at all. Boith senders are then plumbed into the soft heater bypass pipework (using suitable junctions) which is supposed to eliminate vibration damage to the senders BUT this means the senders are now positioned on the other side of the water rail's junction with the head.

Confused. *confused*