Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sparco steering wheel

sicsr

Hi, just bought a Sparco steering wheel and find that the grooved slot that was at the top when the wheels were straight is now not at the top but at an angle, which when you put wheel on is no longer quickly findable. Is there anything can be altered to bring the SW back the centred where the large slot groove is at the top or do i just have to get used to it?. Hope i've made myself clear.

Cheers

• Area Representative

Assume you are you talking about a quick release wheel.

Is the slot you refer to the one on the column along with the splines? If so, I don't see how a change of steering wheel would change that. Is the steering wheel straight when the wheels are straight?

I'm confused.

Quoting Paul Richards: 
Assume you are you talking about a quick release wheel.

Is the slot you refer to the one on the column along with the splines? If so, I don't see how a change of steering wheel would change that. Is the steering wheel straight when the wheels are straight?

I'm confused.

Sorry yes QR. The original wheel was CC Momo and when the drive wheels were straight the steering was too with the large allignment groove on the top so by holding the steeering wheel upright the large grooved slot fell into place easily.

Now the Sparco large groove does'nt align at the top thus making the fitment at an angle a tad more hit and miss.

Edited by - sicsr on 16 May 2012 19:35:23

• Area Representative

I assume you had the wheel fitted i.e. you didn't do it yourself.

It seems that the column must have been turned by removing it from the splines on the rack. I would not have expected this to be necessary, but rather a simple change of the wheel on the quick release boss, by undoing the 3 bolts holding the wheel to the boss. However it may have been necessary to get things lined up.

If the 3 screws holding the wheel to the boss are symmetrical i.e. at 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock when wheels and steering wheel are straight, then I doubt there is much that can easily be done.

Quoting Paul Richards: 
I assume you had the wheel fitted i.e. you didn't do it yourself.

It seems that the column must have been turned by removing it from the splines on the rack. I would not have expected this to be necessary, but rather a simple change of the wheel on the quick release boss, by undoing the 3 bolts holding the wheel to the boss. However it may have been necessary to get things lined up.

If the 3 screws holding the wheel to the boss are symmetrical i.e. at 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock and 6 o'clock when wheels and steering wheel are straight, then I doubt there is much that can easily be done.

No i did it myself, easy job but where the momo had the single bolt at the top, the Sparco has the 2 bolts at the top, i fear there is nothing to be done but have noticed that if you put the left top bolt to the TDC position it slides nicely on so i have put a blob of yellow paint on that nut so i know which one is up. :D

• Area Representative

The picture on your other post makes it all clear. You have a new wheel with holes in a different orientation.

As has been said, simply remove the column from the splines on the rack and move round until the wheel is straight. It will however mean that the large slot/spline on the top of the column moves, but shouldn't be a problem. It's normal to park the car with the steering wheel straight to facilitate easy on and off.

To do this you need to undo the pinch bolt but please note that the splines on the rack have a groove which the pinch bolt sits in. Do make sure when you re-assemble that the pinch bolt sits in the groove. This will stop the column pulling off the splines - MOST IMPORTANT.

Another solution (which I have seen on another car) is to re-drill the wheel and boss with 3 additional holes and hold the wheel to the boss with 6 equally spaced bolts and looks OK. This solution assumes that the boss you are using is fixed with nuts and bolts rather than tapped threads in the boss. You would also need to obtain matching bolts and countersink as per originals.

Hope this helps.