Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Nikon non-autofocus prime lenses

Stig McNasty

• Area Representative

Would you be better off with Canon prime lenses then?

Not that I have any, but I do have a 20D and I wouldn't have thought of using Nikon lenses with it... *confused*

I have toyed with the idea of using some older M42 screw mounted lenses as you can get adapter plates to convert them to EF mount quite easily.

All the best

Richard

Hi Skeetsy, I'm pretty sure that pre EOS lenses won't talk to EOS cameras, which is very annoying! I've got adapter rings that connect Nikon to Canon without any Autofocus capabitility. That's ok as I only want manual focus.

Also, there seem to be a lot more Nikon non-AF lenses around, probably helped by almost every Nikon lens being able to work with even the most modern bodies (At least that's what I've read!).

Here you go Skeetsy-

The Canon FD system enjoyed huge popularity in the 1970s and 1980s, when it established and grew a market share with professional photographers as well as having equipped millions of consumer users.

Canon obsoleted the FD mount by its decision to create the all-electronic EF mount. Thus, the FD mount system, with no provision for auto-focus, is now commercially obsolete, and Canon FD cameras and lenses are available for low prices on the second-hand market.

This makes the system very attractive to 35mm film photographers who demand the highest optical quality, but who do not need auto focus capability.

So...

FD = older Canon lenses that fit pre-AF cameras

EF introduced in 1987 = Canon AF cameras

EF-S intoduced in 2003 = Canon digital cameras with APS-C sensors

EF lenses can be mounted on EF-S bodies but EF-S lenses cannot be mounted on EF bodies.

And Pentax or any other M42 screw fit lens. You can get affordable Carl Zeiss Jena (East German) lenses to fit with adapters. I've even used Zeiss lenses from Hasselblads. At the end of the day I find it easier to use the Canon EF lenses.