Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dipstick length.

Drifter

I was going to say, Ian, you helped me out with this a couple of years ago a few months after I first got my car. Some measurements here.

Two years on and I'm still none the wiser really! I have three dipsticks at the moment, all of which vary in length and of different vintage. I'm trying to track down an original all-plastic dipstick to mark up for myself but they've been discontinued for a while. My all-plastic dipstick has been cut a little too short to give an accurate range of oil levels and I try not to run too much oil anyway.

I think I'll just order a new one (metal rod with yellow plastic end from Redline, as the Caterham dipsticks are shorter than other K-series because of the shallow sump.

I also found this thread useful as a member has taken a good photo of how the wet sump levels look in relation to each other, but there aren't any measurements unfortunately.

Rhys, if no one else calls it, then I'd like to make another contribution to NtL for your dipstick. Another member sent me one a year or so ago, but the end was damaged in transit and I'm reluctant to use it in case it snaps off completely. I don't fancy pulling my sump off for a while, seeing as I've just put the thing together with the right bits!

Rhys, many thanks for your offer *thumbup* . I will let you know but if it is going spare, I may well take it. Will let you know Tuesday at the latest.

Edited by - Drifter on 6 May 2012 22:37:17

• 1 month later...

BLACK smoke: overfueling, BLUE smoke: burning oil, WHITE smoke: moisture in the cylinders. Your described symptoms are not related to oil level. Perhaps the 'using oil' you've noticed is just because you're not checking it while hot and running?

The smell of the white puff will help too: if it's sweet, it's coolant, if it's not, it's not! The blue smoke will smell distinctively of burning oil too.