Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sump guard - Jobs a good un !

Jason Plato

The sump guard for my 1.6 superlight is now on the car and works a treat !.

Its a first prototype made from 4mm ally and is a very snug fit around the dry sump pan , initial road test shows no increase in temperatures due to the design allowing sufficient air flow around the engine bay .And uses existing mounting points - so no drilling is required .

TOTAL WEIGHT = 846 g

In all the additional loss of ground clearance with it fitted is only 4-6mm .

Full road test this morning with a 200 mile blast around mid Wales with Rob Walker ( if I can keep up ! ) .

If any one is interested in having one then leave your comments and I could get a batch made up . Gotta check first the dimensions of a wet sump pan in K series ( Rob again ) .

Very happy

Dave

:-)

Edited by - Dave J on 21 Oct 2000 11:15:07

Jules,

Does the R500 have the same chassis as mine ?

Are there 2 disused holes in the chassis rails just ahead of the existing engine mounts ?

Is the oil filter in the same position as mine ?

At what point in the dry sump pan are you conytinualy making contact ? - my point of contact was between 30..... 120 mm from the front underside of the dry pan base .

dave

Jules.

Sounds an expensive business. Is there a certain circuit that knocks it out or have you just been scoffing too many cream cakes? Seriously though, do you run the car lower than other owners ie. Richard I, Jason K or what?

I would think the compression from Paddock Bend on the run up to Druids may not help!

Chris the first sump went when taking Rosey (Wife/Comma girl) to the pub one Sunday. Hit a bump in the road between Wadhurst & Mark Cross. The second was a compression on the Bayham straight between Lamberhurst & Bells Yew Green (John Richens country). and currentlyt it's general wear mostly on roads. In fact I cannot remember any grounding on track days at all.

In answer to you question I run the car exactly halfway between road and competition use as defined by Caterham.

Jules

I'm also interested as I am just converting to dry sump.

Mind you I have only ever had one severe touch down which supprisingly didn't hole the sump (just took all the ribs clean off on the leading edge) but it did hit so hard that the engine mounting bosses got torn off the side of the block on the right hand side, engine lifted up at an angle, dented the bonnet from the inside, and mashed the special lighweight coil mounted on the end of the head into the battery.

However, did manage to complete the sprint that I was on the way to at the time! (After a bit of a rework)

I could have undestood it if I were going fast but I was only doing 20 mph at the time!

Have you got a drawing of said guard as I could probably make one myself.

• Leadership Team

Jules,

The amount of damage your sustaining is going to obliterate a sump guard before too long!

If you're manageing sump damage on the open road due to you should think about improving the bumb stops in the shocks. Surely there should be enough "stop" to prevent bottoming of the sump on the road (allowing for tire compression as well).

Maybe you should try a stiffer set of springs?

Stu.

Steady boys...

Although I do upset the handling of many cars I travel in, I would like to point out that this is due driver error, and that the firmness of my ride is unequalled by any other....

Bye Bye Boys

wink.gif CommaGirl wink.gif

See me at www.commaoil.co.uk!