Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedometer not working

C7 DFH

My speedometer has stopped working ☹️ with an MOT due.

The needle doesn't move and the digital mileage is not displayed. The dial still illuminates.

The engine is a K series with a 6 speed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dominic

New regs I believe state it has to work - which is a little worrying as one of mine doesn't. However, I think due to teething problems, there is a little lee-way in the applications of the new regs.

Bri

Mine packed up due to a broken quill off the gearbox but it was displaying the mileage..Sounds like a duff speedo to me. Check all cables around the back but sound NBG to me *cry*

Got mine re calibrated and set up to run of the front wheel sensor by Speedy Cables. Once you get through the MOT as Bricol says have a chat with them . They are v slow (6 weeks to do mine) but worth it.

Steve

Have you tried looking on the Greengauges and Caerbont Instruments websites? They have FAQ pages which describe installation and wiring for their electronic speedos. They usually need 2 live feeds, one for the gauge and another via the lights for the instrument illumination. Due to the very low current needed for the electronics and the speed sensor, they often have a dedicated 1amp in-line fuse, this may be the source of your problem.

God luck, Phil

I bet your speedo drive has come adfrit from the gearbox. They seem to come apart if the retaining circlip pings out or the elbow to top hat nut has worked loose. Hopefully your quill is still in place and its a matter of cleaning up and refitting.

Thers lots on here if you seach for top hat about the best way to refit.

If you jack up the rears and put it in gear (chock the fronts!) you can turn the rear wheels and work out where the drive is being lost. ie does quill turn, dose cable at back of speedo turn etc etc

All good fun!

Richard

Power for illumination of the gauge will be separate from the main power for the gauge, has to be that way so the gauge will come on with your lights.

Check your main power feed to the gauge to make you have 12V+ (with the ignition on of course) to rule out a faulty supply before you go looking at the speedo' itself.

Problem found *thumbup* and sorted by Track V Road in Clitheroe (thanks Ian 😶‍🌫️)

The speedo had lost its main power feed. Apparently someone *redface* 😔 😬 had cut off the connector block to the redunant caterham oil pressure gauge (replaced with mechanical) and hadn't realised that the power feed to the speedo is daisy chained from oil pressure gauge.

Dominic