Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VAT question on importing engine from USA

Trevor Phillips

Trev - I've just imported some tyres from California which cost $300

I then had $200 of carriage...albeit by airfreight (arrived 3 days later which was pretty impressive - shipping costs weren't a lot less to be honest)

I then paid import duty on the combined cost of the tyres PLUS FREIGHT. I then paid Vat on the whole lot INCLUDING FREIGHT. The Vat and duty was £67. I'll probably go and puncture them now !

NOT SUCH A BARGAIN AFTER ALL WITH TAXES ON TAXES ON TAXES MEANING THE ALL UP COST WAS £400.... OR EQUIVALENT TO TWICE THE PRICE OF THE TYRES IN THE US !!

Apparantly I might be able to recover the US taxes...........which will amount no doubt to sweet fa and cost me more in phone calls than the tax I recover.

What are you looking at potentially buying Trev ? Import duties vary according to product apparently.

Home of BDR700

Sounds good Trev - no doubt you'll ensure you don't miss any hidden charges if you proceed with the purchase.

I suppose fors are:

Power

Weight

Original

and against are:

Getting it fitted and working properly

Potential cost

Fuel consumption

Home of BDR700

I went the opposite route with the same results. Imported a K and had to pay crating, shipping, import duty and state sales tax. Engine is awesome and gets alot of attention at local sprints. Downside is no one here has any experience working on them. Be careful what you wish for, you may get it. Funny thing about the tyres, too, get a lot of questions about where I got the Avons. Tom

Trevor,

Even with shipping and taxes, I think it's an excellent idea.

Conversely, you could talk to Pip Gardner here in the UK (Northwich Cheshire) about building you one of similar power, for a similar overall price. Acknowledged as probably the best rotary engine builder in the country, and a nice bloke too.

I'll dig out his number.

Chris.

Pip Gardner, WGT Motorsport, 01606 48866

Fax, 01606 330004

Give him a ring- I'm sure he can build you a motor every bit as good as the American ones. *thumbup*

Edited by - cdg on 23 Oct 2002 12:54:11

Rotary engines make superb generators for UPS systems.

I thought you were sticking with the Vx Trevor?

My two penneth would be to find someone local to do the engine (i.e. at least in this country). You'll have problems with it at some point and getting it fixed might prove problematic if the builders are 3k+ miles away.

I'm sure that whenever I've had stuff shipped I didn't pay duty or VAT on the shipping costs.

Come to think of it, it's rare that I've been collared for duty on any of it, but an engine is probably a different kettle of fish.

Just that some of the Americans are getting very good power figures out of these lightweight n/a engines. Like to see some torque figures, though, as I still want to use the car on the road. That is where the Vauxhall is great.

At least it is an engine that will fit into the Caterham - not much bigger than a Hayabusa [we had one advertised recently on Blatchat]. I'm told weight is about 83 kilos fully dressed [not me the engine, that is] 😳

An old friend who races at Castle Coombe in a Daren with a rotary engine has left a message today to call him so I will try and gather some more info. At this rate, though I'll probably need to stick with the current engine for next season as its only 4 months away *tongue*

Racing pics and items for sale here