Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Measuring Propshaft - for shortening

philwaters

My Ford axle is due soon and I am starting to think about the jobs required in order to fit it.

How do you go about measuring the amount of shortening required? Anyon done this? Is it a case of fitting the axle with the prop missing and measuring the distance between the back of the gearbox and the axle flange? Or is it more complicated than that - with a special point to measure from....

Also, with Brent also doing the same this winter, we were wondering if his will then be the same on his car, or does the distance vary per car?

Thanks

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Phil

Measure the distance between the rear of the gearbox and the diff flange and give this measurement to the prop company (I think Recoprop give a discount for SEMSEC competitors). The distance should be the same on similar cars with the same gearbox.

The car in front is a Westfie1d *wink*

Cheers Neil,

Wasn't sure how fussy they'd be over where I measured from.

Brents car has an enclosed prop so his will be very difficult to measure compared to mine - hence we were thinking about how close they would be.

See you Saturday for a rainy day I think ☹️

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

My old prop is available on an english axle car (long cockpit version). BD is pushed back as far as possible though so it may be too short.

If you look back a few months and do a search under 'prop' in 'wanted' you'll see the dimensions.

It's got Anglia size flanges incidentally.

Home of BDR700

Phil,

If you are converting from ital to ford axle then I had my prop shortened by one inch.

I worked this out by installing ford axle and then lined up propshaft above axle with axle on full drop then measured it up. Then re- checked axle distance to gearbox over full arc as distance reduces from full drop to no drop.

Smaller diff flange for axle can be sourced from TRAN-X who supply w*******d but cheaper.

Had propshaft shortened , balance and new ( smaller) flange put on by Burgess of Bradford who did excellent job www.propshaft .co.uk.

Tony