Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Small 12vDC fan???

Eugene

I need a small 12v DC fan to use to cool a phone used as a SatNav within the 7.

I have the phone mounted on the transmission tunnel in a cradle, but in hot weather it can overheat.

So, I want to add a small fan to the cradle...

Any ideas?

This is an old image but shows the set-up (very old phone, not the present one 😬).

http://freespace.virgin.net/shaw.clan/images/powerconnected.jpg

and

http://freespace.virgin.net/shaw.clan/images/mk2b.jpg

The plan is to mount the fan on the back to the cradle...

Edited by - eugene on 28 Apr 2012 17:18:12

What's the cradle made of? Is it a custom one?

I'd be tempted to mount a small PC fan (I gave away some ~30mm square fans recently) inside the cradle, perhaps after drilling some holes in it.

Another option - how about a Peltier device, where the cold side is backing onto the sat nav, and the hot side to the cradle. Again, if there were holes in the back of the cradle then a fan on the rear could help remove the warmer air.

Amazon - Peltier cooler

Yep, home-made cradle.

There are holes in the rear of the front 'mount' part, so fitting a fan would be ideal.

I have thought of making some kind of 'air scoop' as an alternative... a bit of flexy pipe to the rear of the mount... but where to grab 'cool' air from?

Eugene, You could try something like this 50x50mm one.

I'm not what voltage tolerance thery have so you might want to fit one of these voltage regulators.

It'll be fine at 14+ volts, and a voltage regulator is overkill. It might be a bit loud - computer fans are often a bit loud at 12v, and running them at 14 is only going to increase that. Adding a small resistor into the circuit is probably a good idea. I generally run computer fans in my cases at 5v for reduced noise, but some struggle to start at that level. About 8v would be a good compromise.

The Maplin fan one is rated at 100mA. From V=IR we get its resistance as 120 ohms. So if we want to reduce the voltage across it from 14 to 8 volts we need 120 / (14 / 8 - 1) = 90 ohms resistor. 100 ohms is the nearest available, and we'd need a 2w one (0.1A x 12v = 1.2w) so Maplin code D100R would suit. If you're using a different fan the rating will vary (and the 0.1A might not be very accurate anyway) so a few choices around that mark would be worth testing.