Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Half Doors

myothercarsa2cv

Recieved mine just now, look good and feel sturdy enough.......unfortunately they appear to be about 2 inches too long, they fit lovely over the wheel arch but go a good 2 " past the back edge of the scuttle, bollox have I been sent the wrong ones, as far as im aware I have a standard imperial chassis and cockpit size, Am I being a numpty and the are supposed to be like that?, the ones ive seen pictured are tucked into the back edge of the scuttle but that would be impossible with these as the elbow bubble also comes past the back of the scuttle, i'm waiting to see what you have all got before I contact Steve, maybe its me missing the blatently obvious but i'm guessing these are for a long cockpit car or SV.

Trotsky

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the actual bubble is longer than the gap arch to scuttle , sorry for poor picture quality, taken with phone.here think I have been sent sv ones by mistake, there is no way any amount of cutting and shaping would get the front edge to go inside the scuttle without cutting into the bulge area, Think Ive been sent the wrong ones, mine are the leather look ones, any one else having this issue?

Trotsky

Trotsy - your last picture seems to show about an inch and a half of trimmable material between the wheel arch and the bubble.

Compare the size of this "flange" ( I love that word 😳) with a standard door.

Edited by - Ray Pearce on 16 May 2012 16:40:38

You might be onto something there Ray, That is indeed a sizeable flange 😬, ill be out with measuring equipment later, I dont mind a bit of cutting and fettling, but dont want to start cutting em up only to find I have the wrong ones.

Trotsky

I haven't got round to fitting mine yet... But I don't think there is such thing as an SV one, so it may just be a variation in the chassis? You will probably have to cut down the rear arch curve if there's plenty of material there?

Good luck though, and let us know how you get on. I'm hoping to fit mine tomorrow evening *cool*

I also have received the 'leathery' doors.

My car is similar to Trosky in age (1989 Long C.pit DD)

Having thought about it over night I think they will fit with trimimg front and back.

The front, I hope to pursuade inside the scuttle edge.

Not quite sure how it will go but I'll just take my time. *wink*

Richard

I've no idea whether mine fit. They still haven't turned up *mad* e-mailed Steve yesterday evening who replied straight away saying they should be here today, and if they didn't I was to contact him. Did that just now, and got an out of office *cry*

He's still checking his mail, don't worry, probably just out enjoying the weekend (I think he races).

I had a crack at fitting them yesterday, they are also 'too long' for my car to tuck inside the scuttle. Not an issue, as I'll just fit them on the outside, it's not like my car's a tart's car *tongue* I had hoped to have them on today, but alas, we had to go doorless as the hairdryer does not a heat gun make!!! *redface* Just need to curve the leading edge to the profile of the scuttle. Going poppers all round, pretty sure they'll hold ok. If not, I'll get something fancier...

They're nice quality, though, quite happy with them 😬 *thumbup*

Which reminds me, I must post a wanted ad for some more poppers *tongue*

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 19 May 2012 19:17:29

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone managed to fit a set of these ABS half doors to a Roadsport, fitted with a standard roadsport type roll cage?

Any photos?

( there is mention earlier of graduate cars using them, so i guess it must be possible...?)

Don't have a cage, but the roadsport cage will mean you won't be able to slip them inside the scuttle I would imagine? I found the doors are too long to fit inside the scuttle so that is not an option for me either - I might at some point take a brave pill and do some trimming and moulding, but fitting it to the outside is fine. So far I've only managed half of one side as I need a heat gun to mould the leading edge. Pretty lame effort I know! *redface* But apart from that, so far, it was a pretty simple case of positioning the door, holding it still, drilling a pilot hole where I want to fit the popper through both door and side skin, enlarging the holes, fitting the poppers, fitting the door, and repeating. I'm going for five each side - two on the leading edge, two on the bottom, and one at the back. Doubt that's going to fly off! 😬

I did some trimming to fit them inside the scuttle. Here's a few images to show what they look like:

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5547.JPG

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5548.JPG

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5548.JPG

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5549.JPG

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5550.JPG

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5551.JPG

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5552.JPG

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5553.JPG

http://www.richmet.com/caterham/doors/IMG_5554.JPG

I found I had to tie the door in at the bottom otherwise it sticks out, hence the short straps. I found I couldn't mount them lower because the front edge did not have a deep enough flange to hold a popper. The whole thing took an evening to do. You've got to be careful with the heat as it's easy to damage the acrylic cap. I have a couple of marks on the top edge of the passenger door where it meets the scuttle. Not really noticeable though.

If you trim the rear edge of the door so almost all of the flange is removed, this is about right to get the front edge tucked into the scuttle. I worked it out by creating a cardboard template of the door then cutting it down using the curve from the door flange itself. Once you have a template that fits you can cut the door from it with some confidence. I found that the two doors aren't identical so each has to be measured up individually. You may not be able to just reverse the template for the opposite door.

Edited by - ric355 on 8 Jun 2012 23:43:17

• 2 weeks later...

I have now !! *smile*

I bought a pair and fitted them to my car, which has a full Roadsport type roll cage.

The Doors are good quality and value *thumbup* They do however take some tinkering about with to fit your car. but that's part of the fun isn't it?!?

My passenger side door was quite straightforward. I cut away all of the rear arch flange (phenarr!) of the half-door with a dremel drill and then bent the front flange in with a heat gun so it fitted inside the scuttle edge. I had to also trim off some of the moulding at the top front and bottom front of the door. Not difficult to do, just takes some time and patience. I secured the door with a tie-wrap around the roll cage upright and a popper at the base and some heavy-duty velcro at the rear.

The drivers door side was the same. Except I have also a side-impact bar fitted and therefore had to make a cutout at the rear of the door moulding, so the side-impact bar fits into the rear of the door moulding. I messed this up a bit and had to resort to a piece of black gaffer tape to hide the mistake *rolleyes* But a bit more time/effort could have seen a clean job....

Although I could have made the doors so that they can open, I have fitted my doors so they are semi-fixed. As I always get into the car from above the roll cage this isn't an issue for me.

Mine is not a polishers car *smokin* but a beast for the hills *cool* so I'm not to bothered about that *smile*

I'll try and post some piccies.

All in all doors work well and look great.

If you are going to fit the front of the side door inside the scuttle, you need to move the door rear-wards by an inch or so, by removing the flange that is at the rear of the side door moulding (this means the side door 'pod' fits right up against the rear wheel arch.

The side impact bar then 'interferes' with the side door, meaning you need to carefully (very carefully) cut a half moon shape out of the rear/side of the door. I got the top part right of the cutout, but was too rushed and screwed up the middle part....nothing some gaffer tape won't cure 😬

Some piccies showing what I mean at this page here if you scroll down