Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Emerald - what to look for when cranking?

Myles

Ok, so my k takes its time to catch when cranking - rotation is recognised, but the engine takes ages to show signs of catching.

What should I be looking for in the Emerald sw while cranking - e.g. to see if the startup ignition map is working for/against me?

Hi Myles

Assume you have a green light on the Emerald? if not I've now seen two cars with the same falut in the main power feed to the Emerald, both had a fracture in the wire approx 4" back from the Emerald plug, just were the wires become a loom.

Untape them, and carry out a wiggle test with a meter, also look for badly crimped / dry joints throughout.

This may take time as the OE CC loom is far from perfect in that respect!

Mines similar but when going its fine, nice steady idle, quick pick up etc, but starting needs working on. Its cranks for ages and I end up giving a gentle squeeze on the throttle and it fires.

Obviously without looking at the map you wont be able to comment in detail, but should I be looking more at increasing fuelling on the main map at the 0 and 1 load sites, or looking at tweaking the correction tables for cold enrichment? I suspect the latter, but am not sure.

I THINK there are some criteria you can set to tell the ECU that you're trying to start the engine (RPM below x, temp below y, etc... ) then you can tell it you need more fuel at that point.

I suggest you try the easistart test, as that will confirm that you need more fuel when cranking...

Dave Walker told me of a trick he learnt from the factory Rover ECUs (I think) about firing in a load of fuel when cranking to help startup. My old engine always fired up very well, even with no specific cold-start settings. I can have a look at the different maps I've had Dave tweak over the years to see if the cranking enrichment settings might be of some use, depending upon injector sizing etc.?

Thanks - I'd be interested to see what your numbers are for the first few speed sites at the lowest load band up to the normal warm-idle speed site.

I could then maybe compare them to mine and see if there's anything waaaay out of kilter.

Not sure if this helps, Myles:

http://images18.fotki.com/v458/photos/8/42688/7812053/Image2-vi.jpg

When I first got the car, the values for "Initial Inj prime" were:

12, 12, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8

Still started caught and started fine though, helped by a tickle of the throttle.