Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

refurbing alternators

Slipper man

Does anyone know who can refurbish my K series alternator? It seems ok (bearings etc) bot there is an electrical bit under the black cover that looks a bit like a fuse on which the copper wires that connect it to the alternator have melted. I a near Caterham. I have bought a new one on ebay for £75, but thought it might make sense to refurbish the original to keep as a spare

I'd find out if it's the regulator or diode pack that has melted and order the parts on EBay. I guess it's a Lucas or Lucas style alternator so if you type in Lucas diode pack or Lucas rectifier or Lucas regulator in the search I'm sure you will find the part you need.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

you can get them for around £43, I wouldn't bother with the refurb

You can get what for £43? Diode packs/regulators?

I think I need to get my alternator sorted - just not sure what's the best way to do it (give it to a man, try it myself, buy a replacement...)?

Myles, from memory it was £65. First replacement one had b***rd bearings which took a while to diagnose as I had fitted a heatshield under the manifold and I was convinced it must be rattling. Then had to repeat the exercise of jacking up engine, removing mount, removing primaries, etc.

Just remembered that the original was cooked on the run we did down from Durness to Ullapool after some sustained "autobahn" stretches.

SD - final question, for now - how many pins/leads does your new one have on the plug? I seem to remember that certain flavours (EU3 compared to EU2?) have an extra lead...?

My current alternator is EU3, I think.