Dawes Imperial road bike

The_ASH

Bit of a time warp cycling machine...

Dawes Imperial Racing Cycle

Dating from late 1982

Fully Reynolds 531 Frame (rear forks, tubes & stays) in Pale Blue

23.5 inches (I think *confused*)

Chromed 531 front forks

Completely original componentry, Suntour gears - 7 Speed Cassette, Weinman side pull brakes, SR double chainwheel. Weinman Rims (700C I think).

Still has original handlebar tape applied (if a little faded)

Fitted with esge chromo plastic mudguards

Condition A- undented or scratched but a very small amount of chain rash below chain

Paint slightly discoloured where a pannier rack was fitted below saddle on rear stays.

I have owned it since new, bought from Broadribbs in Market St, Oxford, used it for a 6 day tour in '83 (I think) and for at least the last 20 years it has been sat on a turbo trainer, tyres were replaced less than 10 years ago. Having discovered mountain bikes in the 90's I find it harsh to ride with it's narrow skinny hp tyres and steep frame angles but given the right surface it is a superb bike from before the days of Carbon (even in F1!).

Thought I'd try it on here to see if anyone is a collector or would cherish such a machine, I would like it to go to someone who will look after it and also maybe use it a little. If not will try it on Retrobike.

I would like £150 for it and would prefer inspection/collection. Pics available if req'd.

Edited by - The_ASH on 23 Apr 2012 19:18:36

In case you don't sell here I've just sold three old frames on ebay. It seems like retro/steel frames are the in thing at the moment so you may want to try there. They're going for silly money and one like yours should do the same. Just put 'retro' in the title.

Ade