Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Diesel chip tuning

Having previously used Superchips and been very happy with the results.

This time I'm loookimg ofr a more plug and play option thats easily removable but still offers the features of a more permanet chip, programable either by user or the supplier so areas such as EGR function can be altered etc.

Anyone and expirences?

Thanks

Have you thought about a full custom remap instead of a plug-in box of tricks or off-the-shelf map? My friend uses Dimsport software which is very, very versatile and can access all the features of the standard ECU.

He wrote me a file to boost the bottom- and mid-range of my Laguna to help with fuel economy and towing duties. He also shut the EGR valve off completely to stop the inlet getting gunked up. Plenty of other functions available to tweak, but it obviously depends on the ECU.

Really, really pleased with it. Have no idea what differences are regarding bhp and torque as I've not had it on his rollers (which can also be part of his remaps) and I'm not too fussed about the peak figures. The way it drives in the real world is vastly improved.

I have a Spider tuning box on my Audi A4 1.9 tdi, it's been on for 5 years now, and I'm perfectly happy with the way it transformed the car. It plugged straight in, looks factory, and is totally removable (and in theory, can fit your next car).

There are 3 settings on it for mild to wild, but mine is set on the lowest as I all wanted was the 'hiccup' experienced at around 1800 rpm on a light throttle, removing (I'm sure any other 1.9 pump duse owners will know what I'm referring to).

The benefit of a tuning box is that it is removable for any reason; MOT issues, transfer to your next car, selling on etc., where a remap can be lost if say, you have to return to a dealer and they plug their machine in, they can reset your ecu to standard. It does happen; I know people who have had their fingers burnt this way.

😬

Thanks for the relies guys,

Have Spider gone to the wall, no replies form a couple of emails and the phone just rings out?

I've looked at Chip Express and DTUK who it seems both use the same original generic german box with DTUK tweaking it still further for the UK. DTUK also offer a 'Eco box' which seems to be more insurance company freindly too 😬

I think I've found a way of disabling the EGR too *thumbup*

Quoting 7 wonders of the world: 
Thanks for the relies guys,

Have Spider gone to the wall, no replies form a couple of emails and the phone just rings out?

I've looked at Chip Express and DTUK who it seems both use the same original generic german box with DTUK tweaking it still further for the UK. DTUK also offer a 'Eco box' which seems to be more insurance company freindly too 😬

I think I've found a way of disabling the EGR too *thumbup*

All these boxes do is adjust the output from the common rail pressure sensor to con the ecu and up the fuel pressure.

I put one on th wife's Volvo xc90 and whilst it worked it screwed the car and left her stranded at the side of the road twice with the kids so I took it off.

DTUK weren't interested.

I'd avoid any of these plug in intercept boxes, go for a proper map like Bluefin IMHO.

I fitted a DTUK unit to my 160bhp Insignia and even on the highest setting (reputed to be 200bhp) it appeared to make little difference to performance.

I sent it back for them to check and they claim it worked fine, I re-fitted and tried it again with the same result.

It then broke down ☹️and got towed to Vauxhall to rectify, I haven't got it now and the cars been fine since.

DTUK in my experience *thumbdown*

Quoting Dave Jackson: 
I do wonder if a lot of these chip tuning boxes only realy alter the drive by wire throttle positions and hence the throttle body opens quicker and further for a given throttle position ?.

As I said, what a lot do is plug inline with the common rail presure sensor and attenuate the signal so the ECU ups the fuel rail pressure.

So if the ecu is looking for say 1600psi on the fuel rail, then all the box does is that at 1600psi it attenuates the signal from the pressure sensor down to say 1400psi, so the ecu ups the pressure to try and achieve what it thinks is 1600 psi but is in fact 1800psi.

Hence fuel pressure higher, more fuel = more power (and usualy a bit of smoke)

If that makes sense.

They are a bodge, avoid IMHO

Edited by - bertie on 27 Apr 2012 15:13:00

Quoting charlie_pank: 
In petrol injection the fuel delivery is controlled by injector duration not fuel pressure. I always assumed it was the same on common rail diesels.

Petrol or Diesel it's the same factors that influence the ammount of fuel delivered, fuel pressure, injector size and opening duration.

Up any one of them and you up the ammount of fuel going in.

Just that in normal curcumstances fuel rail pressure and injector size stay the same and the ECU varies the injector opneing duration according to the map.

It's just a bodge way of upping the fuel delivery without having to touch the ECU.

Edited by - bertie on 27 Apr 2012 15:52:13

Quoting charlie_pank: 
the fuel pressure in all my injected petrol engines is determined by a that controls the return at the end of the fuel rail. Is the pressure regulator is variable and ECU controlled in CR diesels?

This assumes you have an un controlled pump running flat out all the time and th regulator bleeds excess back to the tank via the return line to maintain a constant pressure.

On a CR Diesel the fuel pressure rail has a sensor on the end that sends feedback to the ECU and the ECU controls the pump to maintain the desired pressure.

With diesel you are talking massive pressures, so the idea of having a constant running pump and controlling the pressure by a regulator that returns the excess to the tank is hugely wasteful of energy and would froth the fuel.

I believe (although I could be wrong!) that direct injection petrol as opposed to manifold / throttle injection, works the same.

Edited by - bertie on 27 Apr 2012 21:28:40

Quoting Dave Jackson: 
C63 coupe you say 🥰 😶‍🌫️

Aye, I succumbed to the lure of the V8, i tried very hard to convince myself that I needed to stay with another diesel baby mobile for a few more years, but the lure of the dark side was too strong, that and the leasing costs were stupid cheap!

Most of the cheap £80 boxes only alter the values the ECU sees in relation to cold running and hence overfuel etc etc, the more expensive ones should be altering more sites and parameters since they claim to offer adaptive features.

Intgeresting comments regarding DTUK though too,

Taffyracer - thanks for the steer, just sent Simon and email *thumbup* not a million miles from me either.

otherwise I'll stick to Superchips as I've been very happy with my current upgrade.

Quoting 7 wonders of the world: 
Most of the cheap £80 boxes only alter the values the ECU sees in relation to cold running and hence overfuel etc etc, the more expensive ones should be altering more sites and parameters since they claim to offer adaptive features.

Intgeresting comments regarding DTUK though too,

Taffyracer - thanks for the steer, just sent Simon and email *thumbup* not a million miles from me either.

otherwise I'll stick to Superchips as I've been very happy with my current upgrade.

The cheap plug in obxes I've seen only plug into the common rail fuel pressure sensor so alter nothing more than that as I said.

Rubbish!!

bertie,

I agree, the cheap ones make the ECU see cold running values by alter the duration, some really cheap ones are merely a resistor in a box giving a false value to the ECU from the coolant NCT.

However I've not seen inside some of the circe £300 units that offer multi maps or adaptive features hence the post to gain other members expirences compared to my full remap with Superchips.

Quoting taffyracer: 
Quoting Dave Jackson: 
C63 coupe you say 🥰 😶‍🌫️

Aye, I succumbed to the lure of the V8, i tried very hard to convince myself that I needed to stay with another diesel baby mobile for a few more years, but the lure of the dark side was too strong, that and the leasing costs were stupid cheap!

There is something deeply satisfying about a large V8 in a smallish car!

My wife has t BMW M3 with the 4.0 V8 in and it's just awesome at everything!