Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

My steering is a little light.

stevemersey

1991 S3 - I just shimmed up my steering rack to reduce bump steer, I then set the tracking to half a degree toe in and had this checked by a helpful chap at ATS. And the result is much improved stability over bumps, the car tracks nice and straight at speed even with hands off the wheel (it didn't) - but it is all a little lacking in feel in the straight ahead position. You could almost imagine the steering wheel was about to come loose ( we have checked everything and it isn't). So what can I do to get a little more feel?

Paul,

I have raised mine by 9mm also. I based this on a bit of measuring of the static suspension geometry and positions, a little bit of bouncing to look at the travel and some very basic schoolboy trig - and then road testing.

I will probably do the more usual dial gauge or lasers and mirrors set up at a later date, but the bump steer was so bad and the steering and wishbones so obviously wrong, that I knew I could improve things with even a very basic approach. I will finesse it all when I get round to fitting new shocks and tyres.

The Caterham supplied shims were 4.5mm each, so I need to make some thinner ones to do the fine tuning.

I will also look at castor and maybe reduce the toe-in before the next track day but so far have made a lot of progress and having fun getting there.

Mine was so awful I thought it was going to throw me into a hedge at times. Getting it right transformed the handling of the car. I wonder how many others are equally so far out - makes you wonder.

I wrote an article in Low Flying a few years ago on the subject which you can find here in case its of any help.

Have fun.

Paul