Click here if you are having website access problems ×

English axle diff nose leak

John Gaines

As in the title, my diff seems to be leaking at the diff nose, strangely where the prop shaft bolts to the diff. It has lost about 1/3 of a cup full over the winter. The diff was over filled before and the level is still above the top up hole.

It does not seem to be at the oil seal *confused*

Any pointers?

Many thanks John.

Can't remember, but does the oil seal run on the outer of the drive flange? In which case oil could be seeping down the splines on the pinon, then between the prop and drive flange.

Bri

(sorry - can't type or spell, one of them - splines not slines . . )

Edited by - Bricol on 20 Apr 2012 16:49:06

• Area Representative

Quoting Bricol: 
Can't remember, but does the oil seal run on the outer of the drive flange? In which case oil could be seeping down the slines on the pinon, then between the prop and drive flange.

Bri[/pQuote

At first I didn't understand, but now I do. If oil is leaking down the splines you should be able to tell when you disconnect the prop from the diff as there is likely to be a build up of oil in the flange of the universal joint.

Yes - oil seal running on the diff drive flange means the flange is part of the seal. If splines aren't good and tight, or retaining washer isn't totally flat etc, oil will leak out along the splines.

Similar thing happens with the front CV joint of the rear prop on integrales - where it washes the grease out of the joint, leading to the initial "ting" when you reverse.

Bri

Hi John *wavey*,

I may be wrong on this but with an English axle, if you undo the pinion nut to replace the seal, you will need the pinion preload to be correctly set again using the proper tool. If you don't use it you risk altering the position of the pinion and thereby altering the way the crownwheel and pinion mesh, with potentially expensive consequences. I would check with R&R or SPC (other transmission experts are available! 😬) before proceeding if doing it yourself. A small oil leak might be preferable!

Regards,

Giles

I changed the seal on the English axle in Westie 15yrs ago - which is why memory is hay.

I marked the position of the nut relative to the drive flange, marking the flange to the diff nose. I undid the nut, counting the turns, removed the flange, replaced the seal, replaced the flange, and replaced the nut, counting the turns again and aligned the marks.

Seemed to work.

Bri