Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K-series oil pickup: WTF?

Mankee

As above really. I took the sump off my old 1800 engine to swap it, the baffle plate and oil pickup onto the new engine. Something strange is going on as the bolt holes for the pickup plate don't line up anywhere and this problem was solved previously by the careful use of a cable tie, which is slightly worrying.

The car, around 1995/1996 vintage, was originally a 1400, converted to 1800 by the previous owner. Have Caterham changed the design of the oil pickup at some point? Did 1400s use different oil rails to the bigger damp liner K-series? Who else manufactures a K-series oil pickup for a shallow sump apart from Caterham, which might match the pickup that I have?

Some pictures so that you can see why I'm so confused:

http://images16.fotki.com/v378/photos/8/42688/10523039/DSCF1993-vi.jpg

http://images17.fotki.com/v530/photos/8/42688/10523039/DSCF1994-vi.jpg

Anyone got an appropriate spare pickup before I lash out £60-odd on a new one from CC? Wish I hadn't given my spare away now. Doh!

• Leadership Team

When I converted my late '95 1400K to 1800 the pick-up pipe swapped over no issue at all. Seem to recall there was only one mounting tab for the pipe though, not 2 as in your photo.

Stu.

Stick with the cable tie. or move one of the tabs

if you think about it the pick up filter rests on the bottom of the sump so there is no way that the pipe can come out of the block, all the bolts are doing are stipping the pipe from swiveling about

Simon

Quoting tiddy1: 
Stick with the cable tie. or move one of the tabs

if you think about it the pick up filter rests on the bottom of the sump so there is no way that the pipe can come out of the block, all the bolts are doing are stipping the pipe from swiveling about

Simon

This ^^^ is likely going to be my solution. I need to make a decision today as I need to order a new sump gasket from CC, as well as some other little sundries for the conversion. You might have just saved me £60-odd, Simon! *cool*

As far as I can see, the actual position of the pickup is fine, just the securing method (or not) which concerned me. This is the part on the CC website. The only differences are the positions of the two tabs:

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/img/p/124-124-thickbox.jpg

And the pick up needs modifying to improve flow

...particularly if...

if you think about it the pick up filter rests on the bottom of the sump

I don't recall it actually sitting on the bottom of the sump - but it's a good idea to make sure that the three 'feet' formed into the bottom of the pickup provide enough clearance for the required flow in between them.