Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Head restraint options for FIA rolloverbar

ashaughnessy

I bought some time ago some head restraint brackets to fit to my FIA rollover bar, my seats not having any head restraints of their own. These come just as a bracket with a metal plate without any padding. Is there an alternative to these that is properly and nicely padded and that looks OK?

Anthony

I couldn't find one, so I made my own. A 9"x7" piece of 10mm ply, with high density packaging foam (from a PC delivery box) all covered with leather-look vinyl.

It is secured by means of sunken round headed bolts protruding through the rear of the ply which hold some home made half round brackets. The trick bit is making a wooden spacer between the ply and the cross bar to ensure the whole thing is held steady. I can send you photos if you wish.

Thanks, I applied some home made padding to the caterham supplied bracket so it is functional but not pretty. I was (and still am) very surprised you can't find an off the shelf cosmetically acceptable solution, but I suppose most cars nowadays have head restraints on the seats.

Anthony

Last time I was at Caterham South, I was looking at an Academy car and the headrest of the Tillet seat was hard up against the steel plate mounted on the rolloverbar. When I questioned this set up, I was told that the top of the Tillet seats break off in a heavy accident and the plate stopped this.

I did point out that this set up appeared (to me) to be lethal to anyone not wearing wearing a crash helmet, but the salesman said "no it would be alright"

Duncan