Click here if you are having website access problems ×

silkaflex 221

johnv

is it good enough to stick front wings on, or should I be using something else?

(I already have a tube, and would use it rather than buying a similar alternative, on the other hand I don't want to risk the wings falling off ..)

thanks

Lots on this in the archives, including:

Securing Cycle Wings

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Some of the points that come up:

* Preparation of surfaces before the adhesive is applied. Otherwise your weakest bond is metal to paint...

* Looping the Sikaflex all the way round the stay to make a tube, rather than just making a sandwich.

Jonathan

I can only recommned the products I have used (but there is plenty in the archives about alternates).

The stuff I gave Ashley is Big Bond FS Acrylic this is currently holding bigheads to my carbon wings with no problems at all, brilliant stuff, strong and fast setting. On my prevous wings I used Sika 292 to bond the bigheads on, expensive and takes longer to set but again very good (7 years of hard driving never caused any concern.

I did once try Sika 291 but this was useless, bigheads pulled off after a week.

Edited by - Grubbster on 18 Apr 2012 12:24:28

thanks all .. I did trawl the archives, but can only find 1 mention of 221 .. it's just that I already have a new tube of this, and wondered if it would be ok to use .. otherwise I'll go for Grubbsters super glue ..

Quoting johnv: 
thanks all .. I did trawl the archives, but can only find 1 mention of 221

That's like the Woody Allen line... "you're not doing it right".

I just searched for "221" in all forums with BOTH time limit pulldowns set to maximum, and got 130 hits.

Jonathan

You will hear tales to the contrary but in my limited experience, Sikaflex is not enough.

Both my wings fell off at different times without early warning: one came off at low speed and remained attached by the indicator cable so I was able to recover it without damage; the other flew off at high speed on the autoroute, and was damaged.

Having taken BC advice, I elected to refasten both wings using self-adhesive rubber strip between the wing and stays, and stainless steel nuts and bolts - 4 to each wing top and bottom through the stays.

Brian

Can you remember which Sikaflex you used Brian? It is a brand, not a product, so many out there to choose from. I can't believe that 292 could fail (unless not prepped first), the bighead would break before the bond I reckon. The failures I have heard about have been either powdercoat pulling off (when wing is bonded to the stay directly), poor prep or wrong goo. I have also heard of a bighead failing once.

SM25T recommends 221 here so could be worth a try as you already have it, just prep well and let it cure fully - then keep an eye on it until you are confident it is OK.

I used den braven it's used to bond winches to decks. The secret is to abrade the underside of the wing well and encapsulate the stay in the adhesive. Mine have been on for nearly 10yrs now and you could lift the front of the car with them. No need to spoil your wings by putting bolts through them.

i used Sikaflex 292 after one of my wings flew off last year. I think it's designed for sticking yachts together. From my research at the time it seemed to be the gold standard and the most expensive. Tiger Seal was a close second for reviews and a lot cheaper.

http://www.marinemegastore.com/product-SIKAFLEX-292-WHITE-310ML-BUR_170112.htm

http://www.chandlerycompare.com/products.php?productId=17654

Clean preparation is probably the most essential job before using any adhesives. Also the curing time and possibly quality is dependent on temperature. I pointed a very low power fan heater at it for a few hours to help things along. Not hot just slightly warm.

Found link to all Sikaflex guides.

292 has a tensile strength of 435psi & 221 is 260psi. I have no idea what is actually needed but strongest sounds good. As well as being the strongest I liked the marine quality of 292 as the underside of a wing is going to get plenty of spray.

Quoting CharlesElliott: 
I've had more than 6 Bigheads fail....but then I try harder 😬

6 Bighead failures is the least of your worries though Charles 😬

BTW I tried calling you a few times recently but no answer - are you ignoring me??