Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shock absorber recomendations

bertie

Another *thumbup* for "Black Art Designs" 😬

I have had a set for 12 months+ now and am very pleased, not tried them on the track yet but on the road they are just fab.

Better drivers than me have said they are not bad on track too, John at B.A.D. has been very clever with adjustable spring rates and worked hard to try to find that elusive 'road + occasional track' compromise that so many of us want *biggrin*

For shock I would talk to Simon at Meteor. He has spent considerable time working with ohlins, nitrons and others. I think it unlikely that any other suppliers will have this knowledge or expertise.

I have spent many thousands of pounds on dampers over the years. I have had Bills, Nitrons, revalved Nitrons and Ohlins.

if you what just a new set of shocks then go to any old supplier, if your looking for a one off buy then you would be mad not to call Simon.

NB: Simon is a friend and I have no financial gain from the above. I did promote Race Performance Motorsport Physiotherapy from his stand at the Race Retro show this year.

David

I went through this a year ago, as ever the key decision is what you are going to use the car for and how you like it to feel – some like a very stiff set up, others not.

Do you want adjustment in the dampers ?

Are you buying a spring & damper package or just dampers ?

Touring / ‘Fast Road’ / Track / Road + Occasional Track ?

Are you looking to save vital 1/10s of a second or just alter the way the car feels ?

I used Simon at Meteor *thumbup* and he was very good at steering me through the various options on the table, with options like ‘Nitron’, ‘Nitron by Aurok’, ‘Black Art Designs’ & Ohlins etc there are plenty to chose from and Simon will be able to explain the subtle differences between them all.

If you are lucky you may even be able to borrow a demo set – I did this and thought it a very worthwhile ‘try before you buy’ exercise 😬

Good Luck …..

Thanks to everyone for their positive comments.

I most certainly do have a set of Black Arts available now for demo.

I will also shortly have a set of Ohlins one way dampers I have been working on that will be very close in price to the Nitron by Meteor and BAD's.

I also hope to get a set of Nitron by Meteor for demo also.

Give me a call.

Thanks guys.

The car is a 2003 K series R400 so it has the standard Bilstein M0 front and M2 rear setup.

I find the back end too stiff, my usage would be road / occasional track so I'm not interested in the last 1/10th, but I am interested in road comfort!

Sounds like I need to talk to Simon!

Cheers

I do not sell standard Nitron - they are completely different performance wise.

Please do not compare them to standard.

Anyway as said I offer the complete range for your budget.

There has to be vat paid somewhere Mark as I really do not think Carl is selling for Cash. *confused*

Tango Mike

Without giving the game away they are a complete rework of how they operate. Valving is nothing like Nitron supply as standard. Its more a reflection of what I have competed on with my Ohlins (now sold and using Nitron's) and have worked on for the past 2 years.

Spring rates are getting lower and lower providing better traction and a more supple ride.

They are still made by Nitron and therefore will look and last as well as they always have. Still serviceable and with the new Suplex spring you get an Eibach quality spring material for the same price as the old standard Faulkners.

Please head over to the website and read the reviews. I have now upgraded quite a few original Nitron users.

Give me a call and I'll explain more.

Quoting David Nelson: 
Bertie

I an sure Simon could supply you with standard Nitrons but why would you when there are better configration of dampers out there?

David

I don't!

I want the best value for my usage, just didn't understand there were different versions of the Nitrons.

Mark - Yes I understand that but Carl has to pay the vat on what he buys and therefore charge it to customers. Its only the profit margin that would not be VAT able.

Anyway this thread is about making the cars go quick not how much the bloody vat man gets 😔

Quoting NoLimits: 
Mark - Yes I understand that but Carl has to pay the vat on what he buys and therefore charge it to customers. Its only the profit margin that would not be VAT able.

Anyway this thread is about making the cars go quick not how much the bloody vat man gets 😔

Hi Simon - sent you an email but no reply - do you have a copy of your installation & setup instructions you talked about - finally picked up the kit at Easter and want to install them this weekend ;-)

Cheers,

Neil.