Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Syphon pump

craigyb

Yup, I've got one of those. Definitely the dog's whatsits. But as Mark says, it's harder to get a precise measure of how much you've put in. I work off my estimate of the weight change of the Jerry can, but that's not massively accurate.

They're slightly cheaper at BookaTrack

I bought mine from Merlin Motorsport (at Castle Combe) for about the BaT price.

R

Edited by - RichardO on 16 Apr 2012 15:06:49

I've always wondered whether a fuel dump churn would work ok on a seven and be the simplest/best fueling solution (??)

The type with a dry break nozzle. ie. when you tip it upside down, no fuel is dispensed until the nozzle is pressed down.

Like this product here

The only question is, will the nozzle neck (approx 35mm dia) fit inside the seven's filler pipe ok, so that when you press down fuel goes into the seven and not all over the back of the car *rolleyes*

Has anyone tried one of these?

I've tried everything here as I don't like using only a funnel, as it can be awkward when on your own.

The Polarn pump is good for getting the whole can in quickly.

A pipe that attaches to the jerry can with a proper seal is good until it leaks, or until you tip the can up too far and break it.

A separate pouring pot with a funnel to get it into the pot is great for getting accurate measures, but a bit of a faff to pour twice. And the flexible nozzle attachment invariably leaks (sikaflex seems to be petrol resistant - sealant wasn't).

The dry break thing is great, if you've got a vertical attachment inside the boot to your fuel tank.

And the straight forward pipe, (mine has a siphon pump attached) is great for getting fuel in slowly, and therefore only used to take fuel out when getting back to the right levels to start a race.

So, most people just tip it into a funnel. Get one with a big catch and a decent sized outflow, or you'll be pouring very slowly and spilling (as OP indicated).

Jez

Quoting mav: 
I was given a polarn for Christmas and you can put as much as you like in the car, you don't need to pump the whole can in one go.

very happy with it.

Sorry - I should have been clearer. You can, but it's very hard (IMO) to regulate how much you actually put in, which for me is important for race days, but not so for track / test days.

Jez