Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K Seriesboil Capacity with Apollo

Jeremy Murfitt

I am changing the clutch and prior to taking the engine out drained the oil. Total quantity recovered was about 5.5litres. I had checked the oil level only last week (running and warm) and the level was at the "notch". I understand the quantity should be about 7 litres. Does anyone have advice of why I only got 5.5 litres out?

There's always some left in the sump, filter, oil ways and other bit of the engine, and if you didn't drain the Apollo tank then there will be some in there too.

The oil level should be at the top of the hatchings on the dip stick, checked when the oil is hot and the engine is running. There's about 1 litre difference between the bottom and the top of the hatchings on the sip stick.

With a news sump pad, new filter and new Apollo James Whithing measured 8 litres.

The Apoolo has its own drain and Since Caterham say the standard k series holds 5.5 litres I guess the Apollo and pipes holds 2.5 litres.

But I do know that james said the oil capacityfor a change without changing the sump pad was lower, I think he said 7 litres.

Clean and empty with a sump off change is approx 7.5 litres.

Sounds like you didn't drain the Apollo if you only got 5 litres out.

When refilling go steady after 7 litres (assuming you do drain the Apollo) it can take anything between an extra 200ml to another 750ml to reach the correct level.

When I had an Apollo I never removed it's drain plug and always got out roughly what I put in. There was always a lot come out when I took the filter off. I didn't have a non return valve on the breather pipe which I'd expect would prevent the tank draining.

PS - always put about 7l in though could never read the level properly on the thin wire dipstick!

Ian

Edited by - Wrightpayne on 15 Apr 2012 14:02:17

Jeremy,

If you think there’s a problem with the tank venting, remove the braided vent pipe and check that it’s clear by simply blowing through it (no air line required your lungs will be fine).

If anything is going to create a blockage it will be the orifice at the top of the tank. Remove, inspect, and clean as necessary.

If you have a non-return valve this can also be checked by blowing through it and make sure when you put it back that it’s connected pointing in the correct direction!

Graham

Mav's figures ring-true from what I can recall - I think they're on my (and others) sites too.

If you do decide to remove the Apollo drain-plug (I always do), remember to brace the bottom of the tank with a 32mm (from memory - again, check my site in the maintenance section here) bicycle headset spanner as you can easily crease the sides of the tank if you try to unstick a semi-jammed plug without one).