Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Radiator Replacement

Ross L

My K series (2006) radiator leaks around the top of the radiator - the crimped bit.

Have taken a look thru various blatchat conversations and am coming to the following conclusion -

The Caterham radiator has some poor history and seems to leak under pressure of track day even normal driving performance, Caterham don't seem to have any in stock currently, RadTech do a suitable product for a similar price, possibly even better, it is easy to fit .... so is a replacement Radtech a good route forward?

I see folks recommending the "recrimping" of the current radiator, but not sure this is a medium/long term solution.

Any commets welcome....

Hi Ross,

You're right, they're not very good! *eek*

Your options are Radtec, who are generally well thought of, CC's R300 radiator which is aluminium all round and also well regarded, or the CC triple pass, which some say over-cools. You might as well try nipping up the crimps, it's worked for me so far...

Others on the forum have whipped the whole thing off, opened up the crimps, cleaned up the mating surfaces and resealed with some sealant before recrimping, and someone else was looking into using the VW Polo rad (at a whopping £30!) but that needed some fabrication. I'm not sure how that went...

Ross, I have had a RadTec for 4 years now, to fix a cooling issue that I had on the standard rad, it didn't leak just didn't cool very efficiently. I had the larger fan (11") supplied with it.

The Radtec is a nice piece of kit, it's a direct replacement so no problem with fitting, has been excellent ever since, cooling problem sorted, have no issues on track or on road.

Graham

Changed to Radtec some time ago and I've never had any problems so far.

I'd recommend to change the rubber mounting bobbin's to good ones as well.

Guess that combination of the Radtec and good bobbin's did the trick.

Cheers